The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Mad_Jack

Legend
Must be a regional thing. Before the Internet I’d never heard of calzone or Stromboli. Never saw that on a menu.

Outside of occasionally being sold at a supermarket that makes its own fresh food, you mainly only find them in Italian restaurants or maybe non-chain grinder shops.

Well, the real thing, anyway.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Of course I could have just asked google directly... "when did calzones become popular"

1675378269706.png

Asking the same question about stromboli says 1949 but refers to the Island spotlighted in the film. It looks like the movie inspired choosing the name for folded over pizza in 1950 for a near-Philly restaurant.

MarkB

Legend
Outside of occasionally being sold at a supermarket that makes its own fresh food, you mainly only find them in Italian restaurants or maybe non-chain grinder shops.

Stromboli isn't familiar here, but in the UK I think Calzone started showing up on takeaway pizza menus around the early 90s.

Hussar

Legend

While I did grow up in rural Canada, it’s not like I lived on the moon. We actually do have Italian restaurants. :).

Granted now that I live in Japan it truly sucks. In Japan they seem to think that the only Italian food in existence is spaghetti.

What I wouldn’t give for manicotti or ravioli. Hell even lasagne is impossible to find in a restaurant here.

Sigh.

Remove ads