• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Effective use of text to convey intent/emotional context is a skill that not many really have.
In business school, there are classes on effectively conveying feeling in internet communication. They push the use of emojis, remembering to +1 posts, all that. The strange thing is, that I am sure it is taught also to ESL users, because I can see the similarities in the way they post (esp in the land of Raves, Vodka, and IT). On the other hand, I think westerners probably do see it as sarcasm, or taking the piss; which only adds that extra bit of hilarity.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
In business school, there are classes on effectively conveying feeling in internet communication. They push the use of emojis, remembering to +1 posts, all that. The strange thing is, that I am sure it is taught also to ESL users, because I can see the similarities in the way they post (esp in the land of Raves, Vodka, and IT). On the other hand, I think westerners probably do see it as sarcasm, or taking the piss; which only adds that extra bit of hilarity.
Really? That is disappointing. I can not stand emoji use in professional communication. I can see the value in netiquette, but emojis just make things seem too casual and even juvenile. Also, as a project manager I'm not your buddy, I'm here to make sure communication flows and stuff gets done.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Really? That is disappointing. I can not stand emoji use in professional communication. I can see the value in netiquette, but emojis just make things seem too casual and even juvenile. Also, as a project manager I'm not your buddy, I'm here to make sure communication flows and stuff gets done.
I felt that way as well, being an supervising engineer, project manager; except they judged my communication too cold, and I was needing warmth. Which I laughed (to myself), I mean, they want warmth from a 50 year old engineer? Talk about looking in the wrong place. However, having used it more on the actual business side, in professional, and employee emails, I do think they are correct.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Times change, old man. Emojis are the cat’s pajamas now. Gonna 23 skidoo…

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
All these years of playing, and I never sussed out that 5e Fighters and Rogues are apparently the same class, ditto for Clerics and Wizards.

Remove ads