The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Mad_Jack

Legend
I mean, you can leave the house, they'll just flee from you. They're big as birds go but they aren't aggressively territorial like geese or even roosters. The problem is that they're kind of dumb and will head right into traffic trying to get away and you don't really want that happening.

Less of a physical danger than a potential guilt trip, really.

Lol - territorial no, aggressive, yes.
Single turkeys or a pair will sometimes flee.
Flocks of turkeys in this part of CT are so acclimated to humans that they're basically roving street gangs...
Getting within 50 feet of them will almost always result in at least one or two of them cutting loose with a crazed berserker gobble and charging fearlessly. Which wouldn't be much of a problem except for their tendency to hang out on peoples' front lawns and in their driveways.

When I worked second shift at a printing place we'd take the garbage out every night right around sunset, and we had to keep a wooden broomstick by the loading dock door: there was a large flock of turkeys that hung out in our parking lot by the dumpster every day at that time, and in order to get to the dumpster you had to bang on the garbage cans with the stick and yell loudly to get them to grudgingly move. And at least once a week you'd end up having to thump one of them with the stick a couple times because they got it into their heads to charge at you.

MarkB

Legend
Flocks of turkeys in this part of CT are so acclimated to humans that they're basically roving street gangs...
Getting within 50 feet of them will almost always result in at least one or two of them cutting loose with a crazed berserker gobble and charging fearlessly. Which wouldn't be much of a problem except for their tendency to hang out on peoples' front lawns and in their driveways.

When I worked second shift at a printing place we'd take the garbage out every night right around sunset, and we had to keep a wooden broomstick by the loading dock door: there was a large flock of turkeys that hung out in our parking lot by the dumpster every day at that time, and in order to get to the dumpster you had to bang on the garbage cans with the stick and yell loudly to get them to grudgingly move. And at least once a week you'd end up having to thump one of them with the stick a couple times because they got it into their heads to charge at you.
raf,750x1000,075,t,101010:01c5ca27c6.jpg

Ryujin

Legend
Manager - Why are you installing unsupported applications on <User's> computer?
Me - Well you don't want them to have admin rights, despite Academic Freedom, so that's the result. We have to initiate all of their unsupported software installs for them.
Manager - <Broken>

Meanwhile we couldn't get within forty feet of them even when the parents were spending $400 a month birdfeeding and we regularly had 30 of the gobblers marching around the yard every morning. Just opening a window would trigger a panic that sent them straight into traffic.

Only time I've seen any turkey display some courage is when I accidentally got near a nest.

Remove ads