• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Jahydin

Hero
Reminds me of the time I was arguing with a friend at a small Hawaiian joint if hanging out with my x-wife was "okay". Our server couldn't help putting in her two cents and then the other patrons started to weigh in as well. Good loud back and forth with strangers for a solid 30 minutes.

Only time I felt like I was in a sitcom. 😆

And yes, that x and I are still friends.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I wonder how hard it would be to train an AI to judge how grumpy/angry posters on here seemed and how repetitive/intransigent, and then plot them over time (denamed) to see if it varied with time, or if most of us were pretty much always on the edge of being annoying (and if not having a good reason for being annoyed).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There were a lot of other ways he could have resolved his issue.

Yeah, flat cutting the population, or increasing the resource size, was silly. At a modest 1% growth rate, a large population will double in about 70 years - if you cut the population in half, that's undone in less than a century. If you double the available resources, the population will double to meet that in a century.

If you cap the growth rate very low, you leave the population unable to recover from catastrophe.

What he should have done is snap a lick of dang sense into the population of the Universe. Probably ending the suffering caused by war and greed and bigotry in the process.

In the MCU, he wasn't the "Mad Titan". He was the Dumb@ss Titan. They would have been better off if they'd left his comics motivation - literally courting Death - intact. It isn't any smarter, but at least it doesn't pretend to be rational then.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, flat cutting the population, or increasing the resource size, was silly. At a modest 1% growth rate, a large population will double in about 70 years - if you cut the population in half, that's undone in less than a century. If you double the available resources, the population will double to meet that in a century.

If you cap the growth rate very low, you leave the population unable to recover from catastrophe.

What he should have done is snap a lick of dang sense into the population of the Universe. Probably ending the suffering caused by war and greed and bigotry in the process.

In the MCU, he wasn't the "Mad Titan". He was the Dumb@ss Titan. They would have been better off if they'd left his comics motivation - literally courting Death - intact. It isn't any smarter, but at least it doesn't pretend to be rational then.
They could have even not bothered bringing the literal incarnation of Death into it and just left it as he was hallucinating.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They could have even not bothered bringing the literal incarnation of Death into it and just left it as he was hallucinating.

Not hallucinations, please. Because then you are setting up recognizable mental illness as the villain, which is problematic.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Right? The celeb on TV isn't your friend. The company you regularly buy from isn't your friend. The waitress and bartender are only nice because it increases their tips, they're not into you. Etc.

But that doesn't explain why the voices in my head keep talking to me even when they don't want something... :p

Remove ads