• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Pedantic

Legend
I mean, she would certainly hate it. But does she dish out vengeance? Or would using the gauntlet be a violation of her portfolio?

Would Spectre beat be the first to arrive for vengeance? (Assuming his boss wanted it done?)
The Endless don't really have rules in that sense, except maybe Destiny. They mostly keep each other in check and/or mostly do things out of a sense of decorum. Death would almost certainly turn down the suit if Thanos somehow got in touch with her. I imagine the scene would play out a lot more with him going to snap, a pale hand coming up to grab his arm, and the other rearing back to punch him in the face before she yelled at him.

Vengeance isn't really her vibe. I imagine the situation would play out a lot more like a firm rejection, with a threat of more drastic action if he failed to get the message....and, given the nature of the situation, probably a visit to Desire, to ask what the naughty word they were up to.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The Endless don't really have rules in that sense, except maybe Destiny. They mostly keep each other in check and/or mostly do things out of a sense of decorum. Death would almost certainly turn down the suit if Thanos somehow got in touch with her. I imagine the scene would play out a lot more with him going to snap, a pale hand coming up to grab his arm, and the other rearing back to punch him in the face before she yelled at him.

Vengeance isn't really her vibe. I imagine the situation would play out a lot more like a firm rejection, with a threat of more drastic action if he failed to get the message....and, given the nature of the situation, probably a visit to Desire, to ask what the naughty word they were up to.

Ooh. Having it all be a plot of Desires would be spectacular!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I mean, she would certainly hate it. But does she dish out vengeance? Or would using the gauntlet be a violation of her portfolio?
Maybe she doesn't dish out the vengeance, but when Dream or Desire ask what the heck happened to all of the mortals, I suspect she'd be happy to slide Thanos' address across the table to them.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Should the first thing you snap for have an "and" that you're mentally and physically strong enough for the gauntlet to not kill or maim you?

It probably isn't something "permitted". There are, after all, borders on what the Stones can (or will) do, as came up with his attempt to bring back Nat. If you want to use the Stones, you pay the price. There seem to be even some limits on what you can do with Time Stone shenanigans, so retroactively strengthening you might not work (and its not actually clear there's a degree of strengthening that will make you entirely immune to them possible, at least without changing you in other fundamental ways that the user really may not want. I mean, if the answer to "Make me immune to the harm from the Stones first" ends up with "Fine you're the Beyonder, with all the changes in perspective and motivation that entails" may not be attractive. Its a far cry from "When you bring these people back also increase the current available resources everwhere enough for there to be time to get that back in hand before everyone starves" seems well within the normal range of things they do).

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, flat cutting the population, or increasing the resource size, was silly. At a modest 1% growth rate, a large population will double in about 70 years - if you cut the population in half, that's undone in less than a century. If you double the available resources, the population will double to meet that in a century.

If you cap the growth rate very low, you leave the population unable to recover from catastrophe.

What he should have done is snap a lick of dang sense into the population of the Universe. Probably ending the suffering caused by war and greed and bigotry in the process.

In the MCU, he wasn't the "Mad Titan". He was the Dumb@ss Titan. They would have been better off if they'd left his comics motivation - literally courting Death - intact. It isn't any smarter, but at least it doesn't pretend to be rational then.

But simple solutions to complex issues are all the rage. Any solution that actually has any nuance or depth is suspect and must be wrong.

Ok gonna pump the brakes right there before I go way off on politics.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
But simple solutions to complex issues are all the rage. Any solution that actually has any nuance or depth is suspect and must be wrong.

That's one of the things I've worked hard to teach my teenager: If someone says something has a simple answer, they either don't understand the issue or they're hustling you. Happily, he seems to be getting it.

Thomas Shey

Legend

Its a generic problem, though. Suggesting something with or analyzing anything with intended nuance is just asking for people to take issue the moment they have any strong feelings on the subject.

Remove ads