• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Now I'm trying not to imagine how awful "baited breath" would smell. If I ever write fiction I will have to work that in.
Coincidentally, I just read a Ngaio Marsh mystery called "Scales of Justice" in which an enormous trout and the scent of fish on a cat's breath was a somewhat important clue. Does that count as baited breath, or would that be something more along the lines of the kid from the "How To Eat Fried Worms" kids' book?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
A few more common ones.

They’re. Short for they are.
Their. Possessive, they own it.
There. Location or distance.

You’re. Short for you are.
Your. Possessive, you own it.

Y’all. Short for you all.

Ah. Years of being an editor.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Thinking about examples of this bring to mind two truths:

1. I can feel rightful indignation over seeing such mistakes only to type "there" instead of "their" in my next post.

I've been prone to homonym substitutions my whole life. Its a fun flaw to have as someone who used to make a living as an editor.

2. It is hard growing old enough to see language drift, drift right past you.

That's where viewing linguistics as descriptive rathe than prescriptive comes in handy.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
A few more common ones.

They’re. Short for they are.
Their. Possessive, they own it.
There. Location or distance.

You’re. Short for you are.
Your. Possessive, you own it.

Y’all. Short for you all.

Ah. Years of being an editor.

I type phonetically. So I will usually get the first they're/their/there correct in a paragraph (or whatever I'm typing), but then the rest of them will end up being that one. Luckily I always go back to edit things, even on social media.

MarkB

Legend
I type phonetically. So I will usually get the first they're/their/there correct in a paragraph (or whatever I'm typing), but then the rest of them will end up being that one. Luckily I always go back to edit things, even on social media.
It annoys me every time that autocorrect will always change "its" to "it's", despite both being valid spellings.

Remove ads