• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Thomas Shey

Legend
Here are three fundamental truths about Mexican-American food.

1. If you're in New Mexico, Arizona, or Texas, and someone's grandmother brings you a bag of homemade tamales, you have just been visited by an angel. If you aren't moved to tears by this gesture, you are unworthy of such a kingly gift.

2. Corn or flour, yellow or white or blue, none of that matters. What truly matters about a tortilla is that when you dip it into your bowl of chili, you don't tear pieces off of it first. You're supposed to roll it up and dip it, what's the matter with you?

3. Pico de gallo is Spanish for "rooster beak" and nobody knows why, or what it has to do with fresh salsa.

Hey, that's pretty much true in Southern California, too.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I miss their bean burritos with their original "guacamole" paste packets from the early 90s. The beans and guac were the consistency of food squirted from a NASA food tube, but together, late at night, after a long night of, uh, "studying", they were magic.

When I was younger I felt that way about their purely beef burritos, the ones that were ground beef, some kind of modestly spicy chili sauce, and cheese with nothing else. Haven't had them in decades.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
“Never make fun of someone if they mispronounce a word. It means they learned it by reading.” —Anonymous

The first time I said the word gerund” aloud it was in a group of book people, mostly editors, and at least six of them turned in unison and corrected me. It was embarrassing. Then the head of the company dropped that quote on the group. It was a roller coaster kinda moment.
“I remember a day in class when he leaned forward, in his characteristic pose - the pose of a man about to impart a secret and croaked, "If you don't know how to pronounce a word, say it loud! If you don't know how to pronounce a word, say it loud! "This comical piece of advice struck me as sound at the time, and I still respect it. Why compound ignorance with inaudibility? Why run and hide?”
― E.B. White, The Elements of Style

But it is less that I want to force everyone to hew to tradition and not let language evolve, but more that I want to become Dictator of the World and make everyone use Glosa as an international auxiliary language. :)
Yeah, that's supervillain stuff. :)

(Caution: That particular page is safe, but overall that webcomic is either NSFW or at least really hard to explain to HR. The creator has some obvious fetishes that I wish they didn't, because the whole strip's full of neat little casual ideas like that one and appears to actually have a pretty ambitious plot in the works. But man, some of those character models...)
"Buy honey-dipped ughs today! The only breakfast cereal made to be eaten in a bowl of hot coffee!"
So literally just a box full of sugar cubes and an unusually shaped container for your coffee, then?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Here are three fundamental truths about Mexican-American food.

1. If you're in New Mexico, Arizona, or Texas, and someone's grandmother brings you a bag of homemade tamales, you have just been visited by an angel. If you aren't moved to tears by this gesture, you are unworthy of such a kingly gift.
Hey, that's pretty much true in Southern California, too.
True in NorCal too. Granny's tamales are the best.

Of course, the same is true of Granny's lumpia

Remove ads