• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Mezuka

Hero
Funny, until the Ardling announcement, I was half-convinced the classic setting they announced was coming back would be Mystara because various kinds of anthropomorphic animal people are kind of its thing.
They are recreating the golden age of 2e. Dark Sun should be next.

Mystara would be a massive undertaking with its 14 Gazetteers of lore. Bruce Heard offered to do it for them at the beginning of 5e. They said no. That is why he created the Calidar setting.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Mystara would be a massive undertaking with its 14 Gazetteers of lore. Bruce Heard offered to do it for them at the beginning of 5e. They said no. That is why he created the Calidar setting.
"Coming back" is not synonymous with "recreate everything ever published about the setting." I was thinking more like an adventure book with some character creation options. But anyway, like I said, I never was really convinced of that and now I am certain it will not happen - at least not any time soon.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
here's the full rule, It's from their general RPG section

"Some recent threads about games people do or don't like have turned nasty. Rude. Uncouth, even.

That has to stop.

If you dislike a game, it's fine to say so. It's equally fine to give reasons why you dislike it. It is not fine, under ANY circumstances, to belittle those who do like the game, even by implication ("That's a great game for players who chased parked cars as children"). That is flaming, and it is inappropriate.

No one's saying you have to like every game that's published. I certainly don't. But you DO have to respect that other people may like the games you don't, for perfectly valid reasons starting with "we have fun playing it," and if you feel compelled to criticize a game, make sure you criticize the game, not the players.

If you think this message is directed at you, it probably is. There's been way too much of this going around of late. Chill out, remember that in the end we're all gamers, and show people a little more respect even when they're playing a game you wouldn't toch with a hazmat suit and a bomb-sniffing waldo."

"You can't ban me for that, because the thing I was bashing doesn't even qualify as a game. Let me explain why it lacks several of the essential qualities to be called one. <Insert 8 paragraphs with references>"

Mad_Jack

Legend
I'm tempted to try starting an edition war between the Daily newspaper and the Sunday edition... It'd be fun - I can guarantee that after about a page and a half, it'd spiral off into heated arguments and namecalling between the folks who don't even know what a newspaper is and the grognards who've actually read one and at least a dozen other tangents.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
"You can't ban me for that, because the thing I was bashing doesn't even qualify as a game. Let me explain why it lacks several of the essential qualities to be called one. <Insert 8 paragraphs with references>"
Not to split hairs, but in this example? It sounds like the speaker is in danger of getting banned for challenging moderation. :oops:

I don't think it's a problem to discuss whether or not something should be categorized as a game. (I'm not a moderator, so take this with a grain of salt.) I think people get in trouble when they let their emotions cloud their writing, and start insulting other people for disagreeing with them. I'm talking about crossing the line between "This game is bad and here's why" and "People who like this game are inferior to me."

Mezuka

Hero
"Coming back" is not synonymous with "recreate everything ever published about the setting." I was thinking more like an adventure book with some character creation options. But anyway, like I said, I never was really convinced of that and now I am certain it will not happen - at least not any time soon.
I see. It's a bit late to do an homage Mystara adventures book. BECMI uses race-as-class, how would you reconcile that with 5e?

[edit] the closest they ever got to Basic was with the Phandelver sandbox aventure in the starter set. It's not B2 but they took lot of hints from it imho.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I see. It's a bit late to do an homage Mystara adventures book. BECMI uses race-as-class, how would you reconcile that with 5e?
This is currently a topic of discussion in another thread. People are asking that very question right now, and have been asking about it for a couple of years at least.

I'm also curious how it would look in 5E or 5.5E, because like you say, it's a pretty big part of BECMI.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
here's the full rule, It's from their general RPG section

"Some recent threads about games people do or don't like have turned nasty. Rude. Uncouth, even.

That has to stop.

If you dislike a game, it's fine to say so. It's equally fine to give reasons why you dislike it. It is not fine, under ANY circumstances, to belittle those who do like the game, even by implication ("That's a great game for players who chased parked cars as children"). That is flaming, and it is inappropriate.

No one's saying you have to like every game that's published. I certainly don't. But you DO have to respect that other people may like the games you don't, for perfectly valid reasons starting with "we have fun playing it," and if you feel compelled to criticize a game, make sure you criticize the game, not the players.

If you think this message is directed at you, it probably is. There's been way too much of this going around of late. Chill out, remember that in the end we're all gamers, and show people a little more respect even when they're playing a game you wouldn't touch with a hazmat suit and a bomb-sniffing waldo."

Supreme Court Book GIF by PBS Digital Studios

Remove ads