The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Fans in general confuse me
Is it the repetitive patterns? The way they always come around again and again to the same point? The way they stay still but are constantly in motion?

Wait, are we talking about the same fans?
GIF by Chris Gannon

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Tangent:

I saw one of those "3D Hologram" fans for the first time over break. That was pretty cool. (To see walking by for a few seconds).

Weirdly, I also saw a 3D Hologram last week.

In my case, however, it was simply because I was misunderstanding the latest hot trends. Apparently, it's microsdosing. Not, as I previously thought, macrodosing.

The more you learn!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Is it awful that I want this OGL nonsense to work out well in the end? Like... I like Dungeons & Dragons. But there definitely seems to be a certain eagerness to watch Wizards implode from this; and I don't really think that's a good thing.

If the only difference between between the OGL 1.0 and OGL 2.0 is "this is exactly the same, except Nazis can naughty word off"... what's the problem?

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
If the only difference between between the OGL 1.0 and OGL 2.0 is "this is exactly the same, except Nazis can naughty word off"... what's the problem?
The thing that bothers me is Section 7(b)(i), which allows WOTC to terminate OGL 1.2 with a licensee without any notice or opportunity to cure or notice if the licensee's works include material that is "harmful, discriminatory, illegal, obscene, or harassing," or the licensee "engage
in conduct that is harmful, discriminatory, illegal, obscene, or harassing." WOTC has the "sole right to decide what conduct or content is hateful," and the licensee agrees not to challenge any determination. Is gender affirming care obscene? Discriminatory? A critic would say it is "harmful." Would you trust that guy to decide, unilaterally with no ability to challenge the ruling, what is harmful, discriminatory, or obscene? I sure don't.

On the other hand, many people who published works under the OGL 1.0 are no longer with us. When (not if) they deauthorize the 1.0 OGL, all of those works will be lost in time, like tears in rain, with no authority to reissue them.[/S]

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Is it awful that I want this OGL nonsense to work out well in the end? Like... I like Dungeons & Dragons. But there definitely seems to be a certain eagerness to watch Wizards implode from this; and I don't really think that's a good thing.

As I have mentioned a few times, it has been noticeable that the people that are most vocal and persistent about this issue ... and also those that are most strident in their criticisms ... are mostly the people who have largely abandoned 5e and WoTC previously.

That's not to say that this isn't a serious issue (especially for smaller 3PPs!), or that there aren't people who love 5e who have serious reservations about the way WoTC is handling this, but it has been noticeable to see some commenters (who have not been here for a while, or have recently returned after a long hiatus, or who have a well-deserved reputation for not playing or enjoying 5e) who seem particularly partial to keep fanning the flames.

All that, plus I am distinctly uncomfortable with the extent to which people are willing to push this.

(IMO, YMMV, etc.)

Remove ads