The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
In comparison to the old time radio shows from the 40s-60s it is just so much faster, it might just be that it sticks out by comparison.

Thanks!
It's so much easier to edit for timing/pacing in digital, compared to audiotape (china pencils, razor blades, splicing tape) that the temptation is hard to resist.

No worries!

Thomas Shey

Legend
Do you know what I love?

The evergreen, "No, you need to stop arguing with me because we're threadjacking."

"Fine, but you have to stop arguing with me!"

"Totally agree, you have to stop arguing with me!"

"Yeah, buddy, you need to stop arguing with me!"

"I'm not your buddy, friend, and it's your fault for this argument, so you have to stop."

"I'm not your friend, guy, and thank you for acknowledging that we need to stop, so stop arguing."

etc.

Yup. My occasional quote on an argument at all and ending it is "If you want an exchange to stop, just stop. Don't respond any further. At worst make a post saying 'I don't think this is productive, so I'm bailing.'" Don't insist on having the last word (or even worse, do a passive-aggressive exit where if the other person isn't willing to let you have it, you get a slap at them for doing so).

Just stop.

(This doesn't mean you're required to drop it just because the other participant wants to, but don't instruct them to and be put upon if they don't. Just walk away.)

I too have been frustrated by people disagreeing with something I believe is completely obvious. And I can understand getting frustrated when the moderators tell me to take it down a notch. But I'm struggling to understand how threatening people by private message was going to help anyone, or their argument, in any situation. Good grief.

At a certain point, it is reasonable to questions someone's underlying intentions. Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to do it politely.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
"Please just block each other so this thread can get back on track."

There's one thread in particular that's ticking me off with this one at the moment, but it does apply more generally. I wish people would either just check out of threads without having to have the last word or, if they can't stand someone else "being wrong", just block the other person and move on. Grrrr...

Scribe

Legend
"Please just block each other so this thread can get back on track."

There's one thread in particular that's ticking me off with this one at the moment, but it does apply more generally. I wish people would either just check out of threads without having to have the last word or, if they can't stand someone else "being wrong", just block the other person and move on. Grrrr...

It gets annoying at times when people are ignored/have you ignored, and you cant follow what would appear to be a normal conversation otherwise.

On the flip side, its an entertaining game of 'I know this is just going to be X' when you log out to take a look, and 90% of the time, it is.

That said, I've got a few on deck who just cannot seem to talk about anything but their specific need to paint the world in a single boring way...

Ryujin

Legend
A lot of the most noticeable ones have been the top of the hour news casts. Is there any real time processing?

I could try asking Crowd Science I guess :)
This is what I use, but it requires a Nvidia video card, of a certain minimum spec. I had heard AMD was working on similar software for real time noise suppression, but don't know if they've released it yet. It really is as good as the video implies.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
This is what I use, but it requires a Nvidia video card, of a certain minimum spec. I had heard AMD was working on similar software for real time noise suppression, but don't know if they've released it yet. It really is as good as the video implies.

I'm pretty sure it works better for sounds with a duration than it does for transients. Presuming, of course, that the tech is relying on polarity reversal. Then again, there were versions of Autotune at least a decade ago that could change a major chord to a minor one, so ... my sense of the tech is probably somewhat dated.

Ryujin

Legend
I'm pretty sure it works better for sounds with a duration than it does for transients. Presuming, of course, that the tech is relying on polarity reversal. Then again, there were versions of Autotune at least a decade ago that could change a major chord to a minor one, so ... my sense of the tech is probably somewhat dated.
I was doing meetings with a window AC unit running 6 feet away from my mic and no one had a clue. I tried the hammer thing with a leatherworking maul. People on the other end heard the first hit, slightly, then nothing afterwards. it also seemed to take out my occasional sigh at the stupidity of my boss, during work meetings, so that's a good thing.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
There is a brand of root beer named Barq's, which at one point had a somewhat surreal ad campaign based on its slogan "Barq's has bite." This was long ago.

I hope that's what you were asking about.
I know (and enjoy!) Barqs quite well, and even the slogan "Barqs has bite".

But I still have no idea what was supposed to be happening in that particular ad

Remove ads