The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

At what point does an under dog stop being an under dog?
I happily sent Wizards of the Coast some money for legal costs when they were in that lawsuit with those Palladium bullies over Primal Order. Apparently once you publish Magic the Gathering and then buy out TSR before selling out to Hasbro you stop being the underdog, but I couldn't say exactly where in the process it occurs.

One might reasonably suggest that the definition of "underdog" versus "top dog" (or "overcat" if you prefer classic cartoons) is entirely relative and context-dependent.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
They’re the ones that call Satan the “Peacock Angel,” right? A religion like that probably does exist in the setting, but the one I was making definitely does think that Satan/Asmodeus/Ahriman and the Demiurge are evil.
Those are the ones. And it sounds like your choice is a good one too.

It’s a lot of fun to go down the research rabbit hole during world-building. Even if I don’t use all the things I find as inspiration for my world, it’s still cool to learn about them.

Grant it the finished creation pulled from far more places such as the Pokémon Lunala, Norse mythology’s Hati,
my addled brain: Wait, what? Pokémon had no major debt to Norse mythology!…oh, I see.

I’ve heard of Camazotz before. Mesoamerican mythology (what little of it we know about it) was pretty scary/cool. I haven’t used it as the primary inspiration for any of my worlds’ pantheons, but eventually I want to.
Turns out we’ve learned a lot in the last half-century. Elements include:

Translating a lot more texts, both manuscripts and monuments.

Discovering more very early Spanish manuscripts, some of which permit isolating late pre-conquest narratives, which can in turn be connected to records from the last 80 or so years pre-conquest.

More talking with present-day locals, some.of whom turn out to keep track of narrative streams of different ages. More looking at the records of similar conversations over the last half millennium

Edwin Barnhart’s YouTube channel ArcheoEd is great for random walks through the lore. He’s one of the people responsible for growing the pool.

Ryujin

Legend
I happily sent Wizards of the Coast some money for legal costs when they were in that lawsuit with those Palladium bullies over Primal Order. Apparently once you publish Magic the Gathering and then buy out TSR before selling out to Hasbro you stop being the underdog, but I couldn't say exactly where in the process it occurs.

One might reasonably suggest that the definition of "underdog" versus "top dog" (or "overcat" if you prefer classic cartoons) is entirely relative and context-dependent.
That's Top Cat, I'll have you know.

Attachments

• 23-facts-about-top-cat-top-cat-1693803281.jpg
    23-facts-about-top-cat-top-cat-1693803281.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 12

Remove ads