The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Thomas Shey

Legend
I have read that slowly the Byzantine Varangian Guard, were slowly replaced by English mercenaries, so some connection. Though I was reading an English historian, they think a lot is just invented, such as at Sutton Hoo, the artifacts are of Saxon style, though of British craftsmanship.

If it was phrased as "English" that was far later than the 400s.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Your campaign needs some John Murray Spear, or an acolyte of his.

John Murray Spear (September 16, 1804 – October 5, 1887) was an American Spiritualist minister who was most known for his attempts to construct an electrically powered Messiah which he referred to as the "New Motive Power".

Oh, I have notes on him. But he's in the Northeast with his God-Machine, while the party hasn't left San Francisco. If they visit Andrew Jackson Davis (who I have as a pen-pal of Emperor Norton, whose detailed visions frequently supply Norton with plot threads), then I have a lead for them to Reverend Spear, should they choose to follow it.

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I like the cut of your jib!
I see I have another note on him. If the campaign continues through 1869 (currently in 1868), they'll actually meet Spear in San Francisco, where he visits with his wife and talks about free love, abolitionism, and other radical topics. Should be interesting.

Scribe

Legend
I often wonder what people do. I was about to dump my life into this thread, because I really cannot fathom how some of you think and function lol

Ondath

Hero
After the Norman conquest, a lot of Anglo-Saxons that fled England ended up serving as members of the Varangian Guard. However, that was 600 years after the Roman Empire left Britain. (Some of the Anglo-Saxon Varangians even ended up fighting against the Normans as they conquered the Byzantine provinces in southern Italy and Sicily.)
That is hilarious. Imagine going to the other end of a continent after your homeland was conquered by Nordic/French warriors, you serve a completely different lord... And you have to fight these Nordic/French warriors again!

Remove ads