The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I have unfortunately been on a few forums where the ignore feature that is used has been weaponized against other users, it’s not a perfect system. No system really is.

However, the solution isn’t to remove such a feature, but to have a good moderation team to ensure the feature is being used properly. On that front I think the mods here do a pretty good job of that.
Almost afraid to ask, but how can it be "weaponized?"

I mean, anyone who thinks they are attacking me by ignoring me are people I would be happy to be ignored by. They are doing me a favor.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
Almost afraid to ask, but how can it be "weaponized?"

I mean, anyone who thinks they are attacking me by ignoring me are people I would be happy to be ignored by. They are doing me a favor.
Mostly I've seen it used to throw shade and spread rumors that the ignored user couldn't see or defend against, especially if you have several users doing this together. Sometimes the misinformation would spread beyond the initial forum. One forum in particular got pretty frustrating. Didn't help that the moderation team wasn't quite as active as a place like here. Drove off a few good people over some really petty stuff. Luckily nothing truly damaging but still. Several of us ended up creating our own discord server to get away from the forum and continue to hang out and talk about what brought us together (Skyrim). That particular forum shut down a few years later.

Thankfully I haven't seen any sort of problems like that in a while, and the few I did experience were not first hand but as an observer. The few forums I frequent now are very well moderated and have a very strong, if passionate, community.

Remove ads