• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
DTRPG

It's "wreak havoc" and the fact that you let that pass suggests terrible things about the quality of your editing. "Wreck havoc" is gibberish, pure and simple.
I'm fascinated by phrases that get mangled like this. "Another think coming" and "bated breath" are favorites.

So anyway, I have found editing and re-editing and letting some time pass and re-editing again before sending something off to be a useful skill in some cases.
I write/rewrite/delete soooo many posts. My phone has posts in draft almost every time I open the boards on it.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I'm fascinated by phrases that get mangled like this. "Another think coming" and "bated breath" are favorites.
I was pretty sure "bated breath" was correct, and "bated" was some short/archaic term for "held still" or something. I see "baited breath" from time to time, which makes me think of the cat that ate the cheese ...

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Yeah, "bated breath" is the correct spelling. The key verb here is "abate" rather than "bait"
Then I apparently misunderstood the post.

(Prabe goes back and looks at the post. Pages fly from the calendar. Prabe returns.)

I apparently have the dumb this evening--those were both the correct phrases, not the manglings.

(Prabe wanders off to see about rebooting his brain.)

Remove ads