• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The idea of naming and shaming

LightPhoenix

First Post
It bears repeating: the best way to deal with trolls, idiots, and jerks, especially on the internet, is to ignore them.

I know, I know, ignoring people is the Paladin's Code of the internet - difficult to follow, but it's worth it try and rewarding when you succeed.

reveal

Adventurer
The information exists, if I am not mistaken - look at the member profiles. But I am not in favor of posting them somewhere in a list.

Circus Maximus has its Dignitas system, basically a "post-rep" function. If you see a "Barbarian" or something like that around, you know that you might get a poster that's a little to agressive or has "questionable posting methods", and can be careful. This is only controlled by members voting, so it is a way of self-moderation that doesn't mean you get banned (as far as I know.)
That method seems slightly better. But I am not sure if it's a good idea for EN World. Probably not.

I think I prefer the mods handling this.
I have the highest rep on CM. So, really, it's not a good indicator of a quality poster.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
It bears repeating: the best way to deal with trolls, idiots, and jerks, especially on the internet, is to ignore them.

I know, I know, ignoring people is the Paladin's Code of the internet - difficult to follow, but it's worth it try and rewarding when you succeed.

Quoting this so that everyone can see it... ;)

Sorry, LP, that was too much fun. :angel:

But I agree, the best thing to do is ignore people that are repeatedly trolling, idiotic, or jerkish. Then pity the mods/admins that we don't get to ignore anyone. :.-(

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
For the serious post:

There's a pillar of military leadership: "Praise in public, chastise in private." There's great wisdom to this. I'd rather take someone, have him or her receive a ban and then let him or her know privately why he or she got that ban. There's much less of a chance that someone will become resentful and starting to act up more here because of feelings of persecution.

Steve Jung

Explorer
I don't think it would be useful. Either you witnessed the offense and you already know how they behave or you didn't, so you weren't affected.

Remove ads