D&D 5E The Imp Familiar for Worlock Pact of the Chain

Snoring Rock

Explorer
Ok, I will copy what I put out to my gaming group. Am I not understand this correctly or am right?

1. See the Find Familiar spell (PHB). It takes one hour to cast and you can choose from a list of animals. A familiar is defined as a spirit that takes the form of one of theanimals listed in the spell. You may dismiss your familiar temporarily (hide it) by sending it to a pocket plane and then it takes 1 round to call it back. You can also dismiss it permanently and then call another one later. Each time you cast the spell, it takes 1 full hour. The spell requires herbs, charcoal, and a brazier. Braziers can be defined as small cook stoves, normally about 8-12 inches square with a grate or as a large censor use for burning wood off theground. Think of a big wok. Anyone who would cast this spell several times a day would need to stop, unload the wok, heat it and cast the spell, taking an hour each time. Then let the wok cool enough to place it in their pack (does awok fit in a backpack?). The master can see through the eyes of the familiarand has a telepathic link. Familiars cannot attack. DO I UNDERSTAND THIS CORRECTLY?

2. See ritual casting (PHB). If you cast a spell as a ritual, you must add 10 minutes to the casting time. IS THIS CORRECT?

3. See Warlock – Pact of the Chain (PHB). The pact of the chain indicates that the warlock is given the gift at 3rd level of being able to cast Find Familiar as a ritual spell. (NOTE: the gift is not an imp, the gift is the ability to cast the spell. If the gift was an imp, then there would be no need to cast the spell.) This means that it takes the warlock 1 full hour plus an extra 10 minutes to unload the wok, heat it and cast the spell, taking an hour and 10 minutes each time. Then let the wok cool enough to place it in their pack. It adds three SPECIAL choices to the list of available familiars for the warlock to choose from. One of those SPECIAL ones is an imp. The warlock may alsoempower his familiar to make attacks. CORRECT?

4. Imp as a familiar (MM). Quote from MM: “Familiar: The imp can enter into acontract to serve another creature as a familiar, forming a telepathic bond with its willing master. While the two are bonded, the master can sense what the imp senses as long as they are within a 1 mile of each other. While the imp is within 10 feet of its master, the master shares the imp’s Magic Resistance trait. If its master violates the terms of the contract, the imp can end its service as a familiar, ending the telepathic bond“. Having an imp as a familiaris different than other standard familiars. It would seem that dismissing one before the term of the agreement is met the imp may have a grievance. Does it then seem logical to be able to dismiss an imp and then call it back at will? According to this, the imp is not a spirit that takes on a form, but an actual imp bound to service. It is SPECIAL. AM I WRONG?

5. The benefits of a bat familiar: fly, can make one attack if is controlled by a warlock, the master can see through the eyes of the familiar. You can castspells through the familiar.

6. The benefits of an imp familiar: fly, can make one attack if is controlled by a warlock, the imp has its own modes of attack, the master can see through the eyes of the familiar and all other senses of the familiar. Not only that,but the imp can see through magic darkness, so the imp passes that on to thewarlock as well. You can cast spells through the familiar. The warlock enjoys resistance to magic (as if wearing a ring of magic resistance). The imp can use invisibility so it can hide items of the warlock. Imps may carry items when thefly, other familiars cannot. CORRECT?

7. There is clearly a difference between standard familiars and imp familiars. It is SPECIAL. Why would a warlock choose anything other than an imp as a familiar? Here is why: “Imps can be found in the service of mortal spell casters (warlocks) acting as … familiars. An imp urges its master to acts of evil, knowing the mortal’s soul is a prize the imp might ultimately claim.”(MM) Sounds SPECIAL.

8. Last of all, "Dark Dealers and Soul Mongers" is found under Devils in the MM. Read it. Breaking a contract with a devil (imps are devils) can andwill result in breach of contract and forfeiture of your soul.

9. Last—if the statement on familiars in the MM are not directed at imps as familiars, as clearly stated, and are not meant for warlocks, then to whom andwhat class are they directed? Why is it in the book? How did it get there?

Look at the list of abilities (#5 and #6 above) that the familiars out of the spell Find Familiar gets and compare that to the SPECIAL imp. Just no comparison. In my opinion, the imp as a devil, not derived the same way as a standard familiar, is a superior familiar but with extra ordinary power comes extraordinary responsibility. IT IS CALLED A SPECIAL FAMILIAR IN THE BOOK…..emphasis on SPECIAL. Dabbling in the dark arcane arts brings great power but it also brings with it, danger and even a dark passenger. This is the age old story of “magic always has a price” and it makes for great roll playing. Imagine the cool story that may have developed from this! What kind of warlock seeking power has never discovered the drawbacks of his patron’s evil will?

AM I UNDERSTANDING THIS CORRECTLY?

Last edited:

Snoring Rock

Explorer
Sorry. Player is a warlock (Chain Pact). He wants to have the imp as a familiar but be able to dismiss it at will and recast the spell for a new one in just ten minutes and no use of the material components. The MM says imps as familiars come with a contract.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
The Imp familiar from the MM is a special case - it's where a spellcaster encounters an Imp and the Imp agrees to be their familiar - that's where the contract comes into play. It doesn't have to be a warlock, or even a wizard. I don't think they even use the Find Familiar spell for that version. (You aren't summoning a familiar spirit that assumes the form of an Imp - you are making a contract with an actual Imp). 5e familiars are weird.

From the Find Familiar spell: "As an action, you can temporarily dismiss your familiar. It disappears into a pocket dimension where it awaits your summons. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you."

So as long as it's the same familiar, they can dismiss it (1 action) to a pocket dimension and re-summon it (1 action) whenever you want - no ritual, no components. This is true for any familiar gained via the spell.

Now if he wants to re-summon the familiar into a different form (Imp to Pseudodragon, etc) - that would require them to dismiss it and then ritually cast it again. I think you still need the material component though - nothing in the Pact of the Chain says you get to forgo the material component.

Snoring Rock

Explorer
I can see not situation where a spell caster would deal with an imp to be their familiar, when they could just cast the spell. If you do deal with a an imp, that is a contract, not actually a familiar. It should not be called a familiar, but a contracted companion. My hang up here is the use of the word familiar.

The player wanted to dismiss it and then re-cast it get a frog. Then later in the day dismiss it and get the imp back.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I can see not situation where a spell caster would deal with an imp to be their familiar, when they could just cast the spell.

Remember though - only Pact of the Chain warlocks can get an Imp from the Find Familiar spell - other spellcasters can only get "normal" familiars.
The player wanted to dismiss it and then re-cast it get a frog. Then later in the day dismiss it and get the imp back.

Should be doable. I think they still need the material component for each casting of the spell though.

Real question is why do they want to downgrade to a frog? An invisible, flying, shapeshifting Imp is superior in 99% of all situations you might want a familiar.

Snoring Rock

Explorer
Makes no sense to me either. I think this should be put in the errata. If what is in the MM is not what it is meant to be, then is should by no means be called familiar. Call it contracted companion.

I can see not situation where a spell caster would deal with an imp to be their familiar, when they could just cast the spell. If you do deal with a an imp, that is a contract, not actually a familiar. It should not be called a familiar, but a contracted companion. My hang up here is the use of the word familiar.

To be honest, I am not sure you can dismiss the variant familiar from the monster manual. In that situation, someone runs into an imp and makes a deal. You don't actually need the find familiar spell, and it does whatever the contract the imp and the PC make allows it to do (as a DM, I would recommend that you consider sticking to what the find familiar spell allows OR demand a cut of the treasure/magic items, etc, and make part of the contract that imp is not going to sacrifice itself for the PC--no checking traps, no attacking ancient red dragons, etc. [at the discretion of the imp], and it will not take actions adverse to the 9 Hells--this is a real imp, not a celestial or fey in an imp's body). [A kind DM would remind the player to have the contract include the notion that the imp will actually obey the PC.] I would say the only interaction with the variant familiar and the find familiar spell is that the spell only allows you to have 1 familiar at a time, so you can't use the spell successfully while you have the variant familiar.

A chainlock can get an imp through find familiar, and this one can be dismissed and replaced with a frog. By default, it isn't the variant familiar (although kind DM's or DM's who are looking for interesting rewards can certainly make it the variant familiar). If the DM makes the imp the variant familiar imp for the warlock, then you can dismiss it and change it to a different form.

Snoring Rock

Explorer
Ok,let's focus on this variant rule. How many of your players happen across an imp and sit down together to draw up a contract? The rule states "mortal spell casters". Why? If it is just a contract to be a familiar, then why not a paladin or a barbarian? They would like familiars too. Why is this rule there? When does someone go walk around the nine hells to talk to the residents? My point is that they are called familiars. A familiar is summoned. Well, it was prior to 5e. It was a "familiar" spirit and there were serious consequences to losing them. Anyway, I think that this variant rule, if used, since it is a variant, is meant to be used for familiars. When I say familiar, I mean "found familiars".

Due to formatting of the original post, I really don't understand the question.

Anyway when seeing thru a familiar's eyes, do I use my character's perception or it will still be my imp's perception skill check?

I used my imp as a scout but it usually fails checks... so with that I switched to pseudo dragon, its a lot better for scouting and sensing enemies since it has advantage on sight, smell and hearing checks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases