• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar

Dragonwriter

First Post
"The blade's more for my protection than anything else, Marda," Barrik grunts. I'm not sure I could hurt this thing if I tried my hardest.

As the fire-spirit (apparently Indomitability by name) speaks, Barrik grows more concerned and simultaneously more curious. "End the song? What song? And what power is it you offer? More details, creature, if you can give them." Barrik's tone is between cautious and threat as he speaks, falchion held low. Gulujak, standing by his master, begins to growl.

Walking Dad

First Post
Fantalass

"With the given information, I cannot promise any chance of success, so the awnser has to be 'no'. Please reconsider your stance on your information politics." Fantalass calmly explains

[sblock=OOC]
active spells: mage armor for +4 armor, stand the heat, resist energy (fire)

---

Fantalass
AC 12 (T11, FF10), HP 12/12, F +1,R+2,W+4

Acid Dart: 7/7 (+3, 1d6+2) (includes Point Blank bonus)
Magic Missle Wand: 18/50 (1d4+1)

Prepared Spells:
DC = 10 + spell level + 3
Cantrips- 3, 1st- 2+1
0: Dancing Light, Detect Magic, Message, Ray of Frost
1: Mage Armor - Color Spray, Mage Armor, Mount
2: Stone Call - Invisibility, Resist Energy

Effects:

Caty: AC 16 (T14, FF14), HP 6/6, F +2,R+2,W+4 (Imp. Evasion)

[/sblock]

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
Spirit looks at Fantalass with disappointment and something of reproach.

"Then we have come so far and now must part ways. This spirit, ... Indomitability ... it is the reason we ... I ... am here. It must know of ... my peoples fate. It must know of ... my father, and perhaps why, my mother left this place. Now we know why the creatures of this place burn, and live. Why death is no refuge from the flames. What more do you need? A map? This spirit has lived in ... my head and invaded ... my thoughts for years. We ... I hardly know who is who anymore. We want to be me. Carry on with your flight at your own peril. We will do this alone. We will most likely die, but our life bears little meaning if we do not do this."

Spirit turns back to the Flame-spirit.

"We will ... I will silence the voices. I will free you. I will do so if you promise to answer the questions you know I need answered once you are free."

OOC: Will be interesting to see how we resolve this one!

Walking Dad

First Post
Fantalass

"And how you will help it, if I may ask? It told nothing, we know nothing and evil outsiders running around. Now we hear a mysterious voice that speaks in riddles and you want to pledge your service do it. It seems to be able to communicate. If this is the case, it can tell us more." Fantalass retorts to spirit.

[sblock=OOC]
active spells: mage armor for +4 armor, stand the heat, resist energy (fire)

---

Fantalass
AC 12 (T11, FF10), HP 12/12, F +1,R+2,W+4

Acid Dart: 7/7 (+3, 1d6+2) (includes Point Blank bonus)
Magic Missle Wand: 18/50 (1d4+1)

Prepared Spells:
DC = 10 + spell level + 3
Cantrips- 3, 1st- 2+1
0: Dancing Light, Detect Magic, Message, Ray of Frost
1: Mage Armor - Color Spray, Mage Armor, Mount
2: Stone Call - Invisibility, Resist Energy

Effects:

Caty: AC 16 (T14, FF14), HP 6/6, F +2,R+2,W+4 (Imp. Evasion)

[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Spirit glares at Fantalass biting back a horde of nasty comments, an instinct learnt from his upbringing that taught him nasty comments, however true, are almost universally met with a sound beating.

"To me ... the voice has meaning. Bargain or refuse as you will. We ... I ... accept. Ask your questions. Maybe Indomitability will be patient with you and answer. It has lived in our head for years and told me nothing of its nature or its needs. Take your prudence and lack of ambition with you to the end of the earth for all we care. We choose to unriddle the flames. How? We will follow the river to the lake. We will find a way into its depths. We will find the Agony Singers and we will find a way to silence them."

Spirit ponders for a moment.

"We are already in your debt. We know we have nothing to offer you that you want. But if you come with us and help us have ... my questions answered, I will pledge my service and my life. Your war will be my war, your enemies will be my enemies. I will never ask anything of you again. And I will offer all that ... I can give. If not I thank you for helping me reach this crossroad, but our ways part here."

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
"Calm yourself, Spirit. Fantalass speaks for himself, and not for me or the others. He does speak some truth though, for this voice has told us nothing besides riddles. Riddles in times and places like these are usually what bards tell of when speaking of sinister beings that trap and prey on people."

Aaron turns to Marda, shrugging before turning back to the others. "It seems as though we have a choice to make. Our protection will not last forever, so whatever we decide must be done quickly."

jbear

First Post
Spirit nods accepting the reproach.

"We apologise. I apologise. If it is a trap we have been in its grasp for as long as we ... I can remember. Help free us from it ..."

Songdragon

Explorer
marda looks to her companions after looking into the face within the fire, "I would suggest we help this... thing. If it can control the fires in the forest, then we are doomed as we have no protection from the flames themselves. We are barely managing the heat with the magic we have."

The dwarf sighs heavily... She looks into the flames, "I am not sure I want the power you offer, but I will agree to aid you, as I am able. Understand, we have our limits. If you control these flames, then you must do so that they hinder us no longer. There is also the matter of your riddles, perhaps that that is the only way you know to speak, but we will likely need more."

The dwarf turns to let her companions decide for themselves what they are going to do...

(( Follow the carrot... ;) ))

[sblock=Marda's Status]Dwarven Cleric 2/Fighter 1
Initiative: +1 Perception: +8
Conditions: Stand the heat (potion)
AC: 21 (11 touch; 20 flat-footed)
HP: 24 of 24
CMB: +5 CMD: 16 Fort: +5 Ref: +1 Will: +5
In Hand: Dwarven Waraxe +6 (1d10+3, 20/x3)
Spells: (0-level) Create Water, Detect Magic, Mending, Stabilize; (1st level) Stand the Heat, Bless, Command, Divine Favor (color notes cast)
Channel Energy 4 of 5 uses remaining; Inspiring Word: 4 of 5 uses remaining; Touch of Glory: 5 of 5 uses remaining[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
"I am not sure I want the power you offer, but I will agree to aid you, as I am able. Understand..."

"SO BE IT!"

The flames of the forest rise high into the air and suddenly everyone feels as if their blood is on fire. The sensation is gone instantly and is only as painful as a pin prick, and when it is over the heat of the forest is gone. The small wind that blows about feels cool on their skin.

"I have granted you my boon. Go now and rest. And on the morrow serve me well." Indomitability says before it's presence and the flames blocking the road are gone.

"Let's never do that again," Torrent says gasping for air. "Quickly let's make for the tower in case that thing changes it's mind."

[sblock=Indomitability's Boon]
While endowed by or when granted a boon by Indomitability, a creature gains the following abilities:

Whenever the affected creature is reduced below 0 hit points, it automatically stabilizes. Additionally, once per day, whenever the creature would die, unless it is from a death effect (such as an assassin’s death attack or a finger of death spell), the creature is instead reduced to a negative number one point below his CON score and becomes stable.

The affected creature gains the benefit of a permanent endure elements and stand the heat spell. The creature also ignores the effect of wounding injuries that deal damage round after round, such as from a bearded devil’s glaive. Finally, the creature cannot be checked or blown away by strong winds.

This boon is a supernatural power. This boon can be removed if the character willingly receives a remove curse spell. As long as the character possesses this boon, it counts as the equivalent of 8,380 gp worth of character wealth. Note that this puts characters above the curve for wealth at their current level, so for new characters introduced to the campaign who does not have this boon, you may wish to give them additional starting wealth.[/sblock]

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
Spirit puts his hand on Marda's shoulder.

"Thank you Marda..."

He turns to the rest of the group, his face pale.

"Forgive us if we have thrust this unwanted burden upon you. Once more we are in your debt. We pray there is no trap and we will live long enough for us to repay you. At least we have won some time to think..."

Spirit begins walking towards the tower, shoulders slumped and head down.

OOC: Sorry to force the situation. But if Spirit was ever going to care about one thing in particular, it was that. And I do love carrots! Hopefully Fantalass will find it in himself to one day forgive Spirit for this folly! Pretty cool boon though if that is permanent!

Last edited:

Remove ads