• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Land of the Seven Realms: Opening Moves

Thordain

First Post
Using a raspy, critically injured man's voice from change self and her +8 in Bluff, Gwyn says:

They were... damn well armed...
*cough*
Trained....
Obviously prepared.... for us...
Must... be... *hack*
traitor... serpent take him...

Need help... come out... help me!

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Looking at the damages to the Inn, Sparrow will approach Kintys
<or whoever is looking throught he assailants items> and say 'Perhaps we should find something worthwhile in there to give to the Innkeeper, so as to keep him silent. The Fireball did do a fair amount of burn damage to the paint and wood, after all.Is there any money?'

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Smiles will lead the disguised Gwyn over to the closest tree trunk.

"Rest against this tree! The pain from my wounds... I can't carry you any longer..."

He gestures back towards the inn with the sap in his off hand (disguised as a kukri) "He's right! They knew about the attack somehow. But there is an unknown faction involved! Ah, my head... the pain... They started fighting among themselves... That's the only reason we were able to slip away... This information must be reported to our masters as soon as possible! How many of you made it out?

Morwyld

First Post
The listener is quiet for a minute, then says, "Look, you guys paid for backup for a simple kill. I lost four guys. Just pay up, and we'll call it even."

This time, Smiles can make out the speaker's location, about 30' to the right, near a tree.

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
"Feh! It's all about the money isn't it!"

Motioning the man over and pointing at Gwyn, Smiles says "He will pay you your money. We will be in touch again soon."

OOC: If he does walk over to Gwyn, then as soon as he turns his back, Smiles will move into flanking position and attack with his sap.

Morwyld

First Post
Back at the inn, a quick check of the assassins money pouches reveals 40 pp, 40 gp, and 24 sp.

At the copse of trees, the man does approach the disguised pair. Once he comes into view, in the last fading light, he's a thoroughly disreputable sort.

He's Al-Karan, holding a tulwar in his fist as he approaches warily. "That's 100 drachim (gold) then."

Smiles moves into position, and swings the sap, slamming it into the man's head.

But the attack glances off the man's helmet, sadly.

Sap Attack (roll 12 + 5 = 17) miss

He whirls, and with an obviously readied action, slashes at Smiles, saying, "The Runners will hear of this treachery, snake kisser!"

The heavy curved blade cuts across Smiles chest painfully.

(9 pts. slashing)

Initiative Order

Smiles (roll 15 + 7 = 22)
Tulwar guy (21)
Gwyn (roll 16 + 1 = 17)

Gwyn, you still have a partial action coming in the "surprise" round, then Smiles you are up.

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
OOC: The below is assuming the enemy is still active and that Smiles is going to be able to flank him (and thus get sneak attack damage unless he is a Rogue 6+). If not let me see what happens, then decide what to do.

Flinging his sap at the Al-Karan's face (dropping it as a free action), Smiles hisses like a snake and whispers "The serpent take you, Runner dog!". Smiles quickly draws his masterwork dagger and then lunges at the man (+7 to hit normally, +9 if flanking).

Thordain

First Post
Gwyn thinks to herself

We can't let this one escape alive. He could warn the sect now. He must be taken out now.

Concentrating, and feeling dark energies channel through her body, Gwyn extendends her hand. Black lightning crackles around her forearm.

Disloyal worm! Here is your "reward"!

After discharging her spell, her morningstar appears in her hand.

Ooc: Assuming she is in melee range of the swordsman, Gwyn will cast on the defensive. She will discard cure serious wounds and convert to inflict serious wounds. Then as a free action she will draw her morningstar from her halversack.

Thordain

First Post
The above action is assuming she is flanking with Smiles. If she isn't flanking, she will instead cast hold person and draw her morningstar.

Morwyld

First Post
Gwyn reaches out and carefully avoiding getting slashed, casts her spell, reaching out and touching the man.

Concentration: (14+8=22) success
Touch Attack(12+5=17) success
Damage 3d4+17 (9+17=26)

He yells in pain as dark lightnings burn through him.

Then a strangled scream as Smiles buries a dagger in his back. Then he slowly falls to the ground.

Dagger Attack(11+9=20)success
Damage 1d4+3d6(17)

There is no immediate sign of anyone else being in the area.

Back at the Inn, Ian looks down at the picture of himself, and mutters, "I have a stronger chin than that." Then his eyes go from Kintys, to Taem, to Tragus, and finally come to rest on Sparrow. "If you have come to help me, it seems you've arrived just in time. Thank you all. But..." A somewhat sick look of realization cross es his face. "By the Gods, we must return to the city. Quickly!"

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads