The Last of Us (HBO Max)

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
If you dont want to play the videogame, you can youtube all the cut scenes. I think its like 6 hours long.
You'd have to play it to get the true show experience though; screwing up the stealth and resorting to panicked blasting is now canonical.

edit: Also, perhaps more importantly, the joke book segments are all during gameplay.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Boy, this is the show I always hoped The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead would be.

In addition to the so far fantastic human elements in the show, I love the depiction of Boston after the collapse.

As opposed to The Walking Dead, where I guess zombies must be mowing the lawns everywhere or something*, the world has believably gone to seed here. If you haven't read it, The World Without Us is a fascinating look at how fast things would fall apart without humans actively maintaining the world as it is. (The answer: way faster than you would have ever guessed.)

* Yes, there's occasionally medium-high grass in TWD, but given that they're in the hot and humid south, a lot of the grasses and shrubs should be tall enough to swallow much of the cast once the apocalypse is underway, to say nothing of the kudzu.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
Kudzu would be a threat to walker and human alike. No scenes I recall had walkers trapped in kudzu. We all know it would happen. The stuff can grow a foot in a day, in the right conditions.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
* Yes, there's occasionally medium-high grass in TWD, but given that they're in the hot and humid south, a lot of the grasses and shrubs should be tall enough to swallow much of the cast once the apocalypse is underway, to say nothing of the kudzu.
While I agree that The Walking Dead is filmed in the south, it is set in Alexandria, just outside Washington, DC. I live in the area and while there are some areas of woodland in places, it is a fairly urban area. I had to roll my eyes when they had locales like a massive stone quarry or a feed store.

Gradine

Curious, I keep seeing articles make the same mistake. For people who haven't played the game, is it clear that Clickers are different from typical runners?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Curious, I keep seeing articles make the same mistake. For people who haven't played the game, is it clear that Clickers are different from typical runners?
In game mechanics terms, runners can pick you out easier by sight, and clickers are more sensitive to the sounds the person makes. Essentially, the fungus ate the eyes and clickers now resort to echolocation to get around. Not sure if we will see bloaters...

Gradine

Yeah we saw a Bloater in the trailer for sure. I've seen several articles at this point though refer to all of the infected in the series as Clickers, I guess maybe it wasn't clear that a Clicker was a particular variety

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
While I agree that The Walking Dead is filmed in the south, it is set in Alexandria, just outside Washington, DC.
The series starts in Atlanta and heads to the CDC located there before everyone walks through the Carolinas to Virginia. It takes multiple seasons for everyone to reach "Alexandria."

And the Alexandria in the series is not the real life Alexandria outside of Washington, DC, which is a pricy suburb that was originally built in the colonial era, not the weird half-built housing development in the woods on the show.

Everything in the original series is in the middle of whitetail deer territory. Hunting season is a very big thing in both the filming location and the fictional locations because they are wildly overpopulated, contributing to agricultural damage, lyme disease via ticks and lots of car accidents, since the East Coast colonists long ago killed off the deers' natural predators.

Even if we assume that the zombies (sorry, "walkers") are too slow to ever catch deer (although many whitetail are so unafraid of humans that you can walk up to them and pet them, as I've done many times), none of the surviving humans would ever need to eat any meat other than venison.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
The series starts in Atlanta and heads to the CDC located there before everyone walks through the Carolinas to Virginia. It takes multiple seasons for everyone to reach "Alexandria."
While they don't reach Alexandria until the last half of season 5, according to the fan wiki, they enter Alexandria on day 537 of the zombie apocalypse (less than 2 years), so most of the time they are in the south, it has not had that long to become overgrown.
And the Alexandria in the series is not the real life Alexandria outside of Washington, DC, which is a pricy suburb that was originally built in the colonial era, not the weird half-built housing development in the woods on the show.
In my head canon, it's another Alexandria, too, because I know it's a fairly dense area here. But in the show and the comic it is supposed to be the Alexandria just outside Washington, DC. The houses we see in the show could easily fit in some neighborhoods of the real Alexandria. Here is a Google street view of a pretty upscale neighborhood in Alexandria:

alexandriaVA.jpg

Everything in the original series is in the middle of whitetail deer territory. Hunting season is a very big thing in both the filming location and the fictional locations because they are wildly overpopulated, contributing to agricultural damage, lyme disease via ticks and lots of car accidents, since the East Coast colonists long ago killed off the deers' natural predators.

Even if we assume that the zombies (sorry, "walkers") are too slow to ever catch deer (although many whitetail are so unafraid of humans that you can walk up to them and pet them, as I've done many times), none of the surviving humans would ever need to eat any meat other than venison.
You are right that there are deer around here, despite it being such a dense urban environment (more than people would think). With most people dead, gone, or undead, the deer population would grow, but that would take time. But predator populations would rebound as well. There are foxes, coyotes, and bears in Fairfax County next door, and feral dog packs might also spring up in the fall of civilization, so that might temper the deer population, but you are right that there should probably be a lot around. But if the deer population grows, that might help keep down the height of grass, no?

Remove ads