• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Ryujin

Legend
Incidentally the Sauron question has been answered, and even though I was wrong I really liked it!

Truly I was deceived.
Had it stuck in my head that he needed to be a pointy-eared sod, so they faked me out on that one. Think I was right about the bearded guy though.

I saw the fake coming once they started spinning him (Saruman from the movies). Is he gandolf but they just can’t say it?
I’m going to abide by the moderators note and not bash but I would like to ask questions

So Sauron died and came back? But morgoth can’t? I wonder if the 3 servants can also come back
Did the blue wizards arrive before gandolf or with him? Wasn’t sauroman the leader of the wizards?
Those who wear the rings at some point become wraiths to the one ring? Was that already created

Galadriel has magic? Wasn’t she more powerful than gandolf? Didn’t she use magic in the battle with gandolf etc against the necromancer?

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
If Halbrand is not Sauron, they really are red herringing him heavily, IMO. His rage at Adar (assuming Adar's story is true) and his return as "king of the Southlands" just as Adar's plan for an orc homeland comes to pass are both additional points. On top of the fact that he is a smith, the Halbrand = "halfsword" bit, and the twisted irony of Galadriel (of all people) unwittingly facilitating his return. :unsure:
Called it! (Not that I was the only one!) And I loved Halbrand's/Sauron's attempts to entice Galadriel to the dark side with high-minded sounding promises, but making the mistake of using her brother's image. And the insult/threat veiled as gratitude "...you believed in me. You saw strength in me. You pushed me to heights that no one else could have. I will never forget that. And I'll see to it that no one else does either." That was a delicious twist of the knife.

Though I did think Celebrimbor echoing Adar's words, and "the key that unlocked the dam" was a bit much.

MarkB

Legend
A fine finale. While I've enjoyed all the storylines this season, the harfoots have been an unexpected and welcome pleasure throughout, very much my favourite storyline, and I loved the conclusion to this arc of their story.

And hey, the show delivered on its title. We get actual Rings of Power by the end of the first season.

TheSword

Legend
I saw the fake coming once they started spinning him (Saruman from the movies). Is he gandolf but they just can’t say it?
I’m going to abide by the moderators note and not bash but I would like to ask questions

So Sauron died and came back? But morgoth can’t? I wonder if the 3 servants can also come back
Did the blue wizards arrive before gandolf or with him? Wasn’t sauroman the leader of the wizards?
Those who wear the rings at some point become wraiths to the one ring? Was that already created

Galadriel has magic? Wasn’t she more powerful than gandolf? Didn’t she use magic in the battle with gandolf etc against the necromancer?
Yes the spinning was definitely a nod… as was ‘follow your nose’.

I guess they haven’t had to consider how Sauron comes back as even if they died isn’t addressed in the series. I got the impression that Mystics were wraiths though and always have been so I presume they are not destroyed. They did appear to be flying away as moths. One actually screamed like a Ringwraith when it was stabbed by the Harfoots.

Saruman is presumably somewhere… maybe. Just not here. Or maybe he hasn’t arrived yet. Clearly the transition is confusing for the Istari. I guess it isn’t relevant to the story yet.

I don’t think the one ring is made. Or the others. Just the elven rings. I’m guessing that will be a big part of the next season. Particularly as the Halbrand actor said he is keen to have some scenes with dwarves.

Maybe she can use magic but I’m not sure at what point she was supposed to use it on Sauron, there wasn’t really that kind of opportunity. I’m ok with that.

Ryujin

Legend
Called it! (Not that I was the only one!) And I loved Halbrand's/Sauron's attempts to entice Galadriel to the dark side with high-minded sounding promises, but making the mistake of using her brother's image. And the insult/threat veiled as gratitude "...you believed in me. You saw strength in me. You pushed me to heights that no one else could have. I will never forget that. And I'll see to it that no one else does either." That was a delicious twist of the knife.

Though I did think Celebrimbor echoing Adar's words, and "the key that unlocked the dam" was a bit much.
It's always obvious in retrospect. If I hadn't been so fixated on him not having pointy ears, I'd likely have seen it to. As it was, I enjoyed the reveal. Little innocent seeming comments that steered Celebrimbor, rather than outright stepping in and doing it for him.
A fine finale. While I've enjoyed all the storylines this season, the harfoots have been an unexpected and welcome pleasure throughout, very much my favourite storyline, and I loved the conclusion to this arc of their story.

And hey, the show delivered on its title. We get actual Rings of Power by the end of the first season.
Having so many high & mighty folk about always seems to make the regular folk, just going about their business, real stand-outs.

Ryujin

Legend
Yes the spinning was definitely a nod… as was ‘follow your nose’.

I guess they haven’t had to consider how Sauron comes back as even if they died isn’t addressed in the series. I got the impression that Mystics were wraiths though and always have been so I presume they are not destroyed. They did appear to be flying away as moths. One actually screamed like a Ringwraith when it was stabbed by the Harfoots.

Saruman is presumably somewhere… maybe. Just not here. Or maybe he hasn’t arrived yet. Clearly the transition is confusing for the Istari. I guess it isn’t relevant to the story yet.

I don’t think the one ring is made. Or the others. Just the elven rings. I’m guessing that will be a big part of the next season. Particularly as the Halbrand actor said he is keen to have some scenes with dwarves.

Maybe she can use magic but I’m not sure at what point she was supposed to use it on Sauron, there wasn’t really that kind of opportunity. I’m ok with that.
And while Galadriel is ancient and powerful in her own right, she didn't yet have one of the three Elven Rings. That's a serious power boost.

MarkB

Legend
I don't think the turning-into-moths bit was their idea. I think that's what was done to them, and that it's another thematic link between the Stranger and the Gandalf we know.

That being the case, I don't think they're coming back.

Remove ads