[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
One blogger I've found who analyzes this kind of stuff estimates that Dragonlance and FR together have sold around 100mm copies since the lines began in '84 and '87 respectively. And that Tolkien's works in total are around 600mm.

If you read the articles, the blogger, Adam Whitehead, details only about 38 million in sales for the FR, the rest of the 100 million coming from Weis and Hickman’s Dragonlance’s 29 million with an apparently unknown source for the other 33 million in sales he reports for combined Dragonlance and FR novels.

I’m contrast, the 600 million figure he reports for Tolkien is acknowledged in the article to be “conservative” and apparently comes from a report TheOneRing releasef as a “gag” on April Fool’s Day. So, yes, at least an order of magnitude.

Urriak

Explorer
Sure, it's very powerful. But I also always like the version of the scene in Bakshi's Lord of the Rings animated movie. There, she is a lot more gentle as if she dispensed with the temptation long ago and is just relating to Frodo what she could have been, had she taken the ring.

Re-watched that scene to remember it... but yes, it is better. It's a much more realistic, wise response to the offer of the ring. She mocks the offer a little, almost like how a recovering alcoholic refuses an offer to drink. She knows how terrible a choice it would be to take it, and admits how tempting it is despite that. But she makes light of it too to defuse the tension somewhat while also explaining how giving her the ring is not a solution, but a new problem.

Makes a lot more sense than what the Jackson film did... it's a bit whiplash from craving, to horrifying speech, to resigned depression. Cinematic for sure, but I do feel the Bakshi version is probably more in-line with Tolkien's intent for that scene.

MarkB

Legend
The new trailer seems to be trying to put more of an emphasis on characters, focusing on a lot of individuals in a manner that seems to hint at the idea of building some sort of fellowship without ever actually committing to it.

Tallifer

Hero
Anti-inclusive content
"Rings of Power" is an insult to J. R R. Tolkien and everything he stood for. His Mythology of England was NOT a racist, Brexit, Nazi ideology; nor does watering it down help any w*** cause. I would HAPPILY watch a drama or documentary about (for example) the Ashanti kingdom (there is an amazing podcast which discussed the same), but my advice to televise that instead of hijacking Tolkien to promote your political agenda.

Remove ads