[+] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - SPOILERS ALLOWED

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think I figured out what I don't quite like about this portrayal of Galadriel - I am used to her being an introverted bad ass. Here, she seems to be an extroverted bad-ass. She also has her social abilities inverted - effectively she is an antisocial extrovert when I am used to her being a social introvert. (More my kind of people).

I get that she's significantly younger, but these are the kinds of things that are usually part of your nature, not something that changes over your lifetime (well, you can learn to battle against your nature, but it will always be a battle).
She was younger, yes, but not enough to make that large of a change. The current show is set about 2000 years before the war of the ring, which means she is already 6000 years old. Elves don't really change that much and by the ripe age of 6k, she's not really going to change anymore.

The show should be portraying her like the movies did. That said, I'm not sure she is introverted. She went with Fingolfin and his followers from Aman to Middle Earth across the Helcaraxe and then took part in the wars that followed. It wasn't until around 400 years from the time of this show that she went to dwell in Lothlorien and it was another 500ish years before she assumed control of that place. By that time all the elves had retreated to their strongholds.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah, we saw Galadriel in LotR for a very short window at a very particular point in time. If you met me at a dinner party where I was talking to friends of mine who went into politics, it wouldn't be accurate to think that was my life, at all.

We're seeing a lot more of Galadriel and Elrond than we have previously. They are going to do things they haven't done before -- which mostly consisted of war councils -- and show other sides of their personalities.

It would be a lot less plausible if we never saw other sides of them in this show.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm enjoying Poppy and Nori. A new Merry and Pippin. I'm not sure about Elrond. He has some big shoes to fill.
Nori bothers me, but only because of the name. Nori and the other dwarves went with Bilbo to reclaim the Lonely Mountain. I just can't get past her not being a dwarf.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Having the Fëanorians land in Eriador instead of Beleriand, having a Valinorean elf, daughter of Finarfin, being bossed around by one of her lesser cousins (because that's what Gil-Galad is), and making her travel to Valinor against the ban of the Valar DOES "offensively contradict" things they don't have the rights to, as far as I'm concerned.
She didn't travel to Aman against the ban as the ban was lifted after the War of Wrath 1000 years prior to the where we are in the show. Galadriel was offered a return to Valinor at the end of the War of Wrath which she turned down. The other elves in the boat would similarly have been allowed to go to Aman.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Olorin/Gandalf doesn't arrive in ME until 1000TA, well after the Battle of the Last Alliance, though, when the Elven Rings had already existed for over a millennium.
Depends on the source. In The Peoples of Middle-Earth, they are said to have arrived around the time of the forging of the One Ring. The being found by Nori and the others might be Radagast, with the way he talks to creatures and the trees bowed to him.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I certainly agree that the fireflies dying doesn't seem very Gandalf-like. IMDB simply lists the character as "The Stranger" for all 8 episodes, at the moment. I don't think, however, that he's Sauron either. If he's going to influence the creation of the rings, then he's pretty far off the mark at the moment. He also seems to be human in appearance, rather than an Elf, so he wouldn't be trusted by the Elves in such a heavy task.
Plus Sauron was unaware of the Hobbits, which wouldn't be the case if he showed up with these Harfoots.

Ryujin

Legend
Depends on the source. In The Peoples of Middle-Earth, they are said to have arrived around the time of the forging of the One Ring. The being found by Nori and the others might be Radagast, with the way he talks to creatures and the trees bowed to him.
I think that's just an Istari thing, in general. Gandalf spoke to a moth and, of course, the Eagles.

Remove ads