D&D 5E The Magical Martial

Chaosmancer

Legend
That is frankly a stupid rule, proof to me of WotC 5e's radical oversimplification. It would never fly in my game.

I don't think we should care whether or not you follow the rules of 5e.

Additionally... why is it stupid? I can trivially point to multiple stories of heroes and other people who have swam through water in armor. Is it just stupid because you don't like it?

Chaosmancer

Legend
That's very often how it works though. People use technology because it gives them capabilities they wouldn't otherwise have or makes tasks much faster and/or easier. People use magic for exactly the same reasons.

And some people get to be masters of their own fate, using their own power. While others get to be special because those people made them artificial enhancements to make up for their lack of having that power themselves.

I will never accept that the solution to caster/martial situations is giving martials magical items made by casters, to imitate their abilities.

Chaosmancer

Legend
It's a very strange way to view fiction. If it doesn't bear a 1 for 1 relationship with reality, then it must be magic.

There's no room for different but natural.

Seems really limiting, sad, and honestly, kinda lazy.

I think it mostly comes from differences in terminology.

"The empowered souls of those blessed by the gods can allow them to transcend mortal limitations of the flesh" is kind of the same as saying "it's magic". I think it is largely just useful as a catch-all, because explicit explanations will always be specific to the setting.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Edit: I went and double checked the UA. I was wrong about what the level 9 ability did. Though I am curious if you are planning these to allow fighters to apply three masteries to a weapon
Master of Armaments lets you switch Masteries.

Grandmastery feats let you get double Mastery.

Originally my idea was

1. Double Mastery with weapon group
  2. Upgrade one master with Weapon Group
  3. Special action
Current slate is current versions.

It's a very strange way to view fiction. If it doesn't bear a 1 for 1 relationship with reality, then it must be magic.

There's no room for different but natural.

Seems really limiting, sad, and honestly, kinda lazy.
No there is absolutely room for things that are different by natural, but that is not what most people are talking about.

i wonder how many people would ever actually notice if we just outright doubled all of the IRL records and didn't mention we were lying about those being 'regular human capabilities', i bet it would be more fun for DnD martials though.
No idea really, but most athletes (and I don’t me the professionals) would have a sense. The issue is less world records and more talent, skills, & training.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Master of Armaments lets you switch Masteries.

Grandmastery feats let you get double Mastery.

Originally my idea was

1. Double Mastery with weapon group
  2. Upgrade one master with Weapon Group
  3. Special action
Current slate is current versions.

Right, but your phrasing says "treat this weapon as though it has X and Y" if the weapon also has Z because of Master of Armaments, will they have X and Y, or X, Y and Z?

I think it mostly comes from differences in terminology.

"The empowered souls of those blessed by the gods can allow them to transcend mortal limitations of the flesh" is kind of the same as saying "it's magic". I think it is largely just useful as a catch-all, because explicit explanations will always be specific to the setting.
It is the same.. and we don't need that either.

Remove ads