D&D 5E The Magical Martial

Chaosmancer

Legend
One thing I absolutely think would help is getting back to basics and looking at the environment.

True Fact! There is no roll for climbing a normal climbable surface. The rules state that climbing rolls can be made in extreme conditions. So, let's say the rogue/fighter wants to run into an alley and free-hand climb a three story house... Well, they can climb at half movement speed, and as long as there is no time limit, they can just do that. It would take them six seconds to clamber up that building if they dashed.

True Fact! Baseline high Jump rules allow a character with a 16 strength to jump and their feet clear a six foot height. A fighter/rogue with a high strength (or using the thief dex abilities) can casually jump over the head of most humanoids. Additionally, a 16 strength fighter can reach a ledge that is (on average) 14.745 ft above them. This means that they can trivially, without rolling or major exertion, run up to a two story house, jump, grab the edge of a window, and pull themselves up it.

These are feats of level 1 characters. A level 3 Rogue Thief should be able to, in a single span of six seconds, run into an alley, jump up and grab a second story window, kick off that to land on a third story balcony across the alley, then proceed to climb up the ivy on the side of the building to a height of approximately the 7th story of the building.

There are two things that should be added to this.

1) Let Fighter/Rogues add their proficiency to their jumps and adjust long-jump distances as well as fix the weirdness of its interaction with movement speed (you shouldn't only jump 5ft instead of the 30 you should clear, just because you ran up first). I like the idea of calculating sets of 5 ft based off their bonuses (so a fighter with a +4 strength and +3 prof jumps 35 ft) and leaving non-martials with the strength score method.

2) Let Martial Characters destroy the environment more. Right now, a 20th level fighter with a normal warhammer is potentially destroying a stone wall in three to four swings... the exact same that a 1st level fighter might accomplish. And that is even if the DM allows it, and that is even if the players think of it. A DM might allow an Ogre to charge through a wooden wall in a dramatic flair to attack the players, but they almost never allow the players to bust through walls or destroy floors or ceilings in the same manner.

How many fighter/rogues have been allowed to stab an enemy through a wooden wall? Or pull the classic of reaching through a wall to grapple an enemy? Wooden walls and doors should not make you safe from a mid-to-high level fighter. Hiding inside a wagon shouldn't make you safe from the rogue shooting you through the wagon's walls. These people live in a world that is destructible, let them feel like they are capable of shattering wood and cracking stone with ease.

And, after you implement such rules REMIND the players. Your rogue isn't used to thinking of the fact that they can jump OVER the knight's head to escape, your fighter isn't used to seeing a barred wooden door and realizing it isn't actually an obstacle that can stop them. And once you have players who are used to thinking in this way, then you are going to see a change in how those classes feel to those players.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Again, I can't speak to Hawkeye specifically. However, many mundane comic book heroes do things that are not called "magic" or "supernatural," but go beyond what is realistic possible by being "very good" at something.

An example: jumping through the air (usually horizontally) while shooting 3 arrows simultaneously at three different targets. Something like that is often attributed to comic book archer heroes. That is beyond being "very good." That is supernatural talent (for how I am using the term supernatural).

Maybe, but I wasn't talking about what D&D is or has been, but what I would like to see. Also, this is a different argument than what I am talking about - see above.

Jumping while shooting is not supernatural.

It's just very very hard. A high DC.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Again, I can't speak to Hawkeye specifically. However, many mundane comic book heroes do things that are not called "magic" or "supernatural," but go beyond what is realistic possible by being "very good" at something.

An example: jumping through the air (usually horizontally) while shooting 3 arrows simultaneously at three different targets. Something like that is often attributed to comic book archer heroes. That is beyond being "very good." That is supernatural talent (for how I am using the term supernatural).

Maybe, but I wasn't talking about what D&D is or has been, but what I would like to see. Also, this is a different argument than what I am talking about - see above.
Part of the problem I think is implying that once you cross that magical/supernatural line’ that anything magical or supernatural goes. That’s seems to be how some feel but I think there’s a lot of middle ground, like I’m more or less fine with the level of supernatural you described above, but not with what most people say they mean when they say supernatural.

dave2008

Legend
Jumping while shooting is not supernatural.

It's just very very hard. A high DC.
Sure jumping and shooting is hard. But jumping and shooting 3 arrows simultaneous at three different opponents on the regular is impossible. I don't think that is something anyone has ever done. It looks mundane, but it isn't IMO.

And that is one example. There a lot more that comic book martial heroes do that is, IMO, technically supernatural (beyond the limits of what is physically possible).

To be clear, I am not saying characters shouldn't be able to do those things. I think at some point we need to honest and say: "OK, that is martial & supernatural."

Heck one person in this thread said level 15 characters should be equal Heracles. Heracles is most definitely supernatural. He may only be doing mundane martial things (lifting, wrestling, etc.), but he does them to a supernatural extent.

Last edited:

True Fact! There is no roll for climbing a normal climbable surface. The rules state that climbing rolls can be made in extreme conditions. So, let's say the rogue/fighter wants to run into an alley and free-hand climb a three story house... Well, they can climb at half movement speed, and as long as there is no time limit, they can just do that. It would take them six seconds to clamber up that building if they dashed.
So could a 10 STR wizard.

Additionally, a 16 strength fighter can reach a ledge that is (on average) 14.745 ft above them. This means that they can trivially, without rolling or major exertion, run up to a two story house, jump, grab the edge of a window, and pull themselves up it.
A 10 STR wizard could jump and climb up an ~12' ledge. That's hardly an impressive difference.

but they almost never allow the players to bust through walls or destroy floors or ceilings in the same manner.
You must have a Tool which is capably of damaging the object you are trying to destroy. You're more likely to break your weapon hitting it against a stone wall than make any meaningful progress.
How many fighter/rogues have been allowed to stab an enemy through a wooden wall?
Theres a reason why wooden shields are something people used - it tends to stop cuts and thrusts.

I have said this several times (and this is basically how we treat it), but I wish the game explicitly stated that lvls 1-10 are "mundane" and levels 11-20 are "supernatural." So lvls 1-10 might get you batman levels of ability, while 11-20 gets you Sampson, Theseus, or beyond levels of ability.
I've done something like that, a bit ham-handedly. I've split things up into 1-6 (mundane or uncanny), 7-11 (preternatural), 12+ (supernatural). Fighters can't do frankly magical things, but if a weird stone obelisk absolutely, positively, must be destroyed now, a 12th level fighter can do it with the right feat and a couple solid attack rolls.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Sure jumping and shooting is hard. But jumping and shooting 3 arrows simultaneous at three different opponents on the regular is impossible. I don't think that is something anyone has ever done. It looks mundane, but it isn't IMO.

And that is one example. There a lot more that comic book martial heroes do that is, IMO, technically supernatural (beyond the limits of what is physically possible).

To be clear, I am not saying characters shouldn't be able to do those things. I think at some point we need to honest and say: "OK, that is martial & supernatural."

Heck one person in this thread said level 15 characters should be equal Heracles. Heracles is most definitely supernatural. He may only be doing mundane martial things (lifting, wrestling, etc.), but he does them to a supernatural extent.

Lars Andersen shooting 3 arrows while moving and other tricks

Menelaus shot -three arrows from horse back

Chaosmancer

Legend
So could a 10 STR wizard.

Yes. I never said that the climbing rules were exclusive to fighters.

A 10 STR wizard could jump and climb up an ~12' ledge. That's hardly an impressive difference.

The fighter's distance isn't impressive? Or the Wizard being able to jump up and casually dunk a basketball at strength 10, level 1?

Because, I would like to note, if the WIZARD at strength 10 is already a premier NBA player.... maybe the level 1 fighter with a strength of 16 might be.... more?

You must have a Tool which is capably of damaging the object you are trying to destroy. You're more likely to break your weapon hitting it against a stone wall than make any meaningful progress.

Which is stupid and limiting.

Theres a reason why wooden shields are something people used - it tends to stop cuts and thrusts.

And in DnD it also stops 8 ft pillars of metal, ghostly claws, and beams of flame.

Again, that is a limitation that just... shouldn't exist. The fighter can cut through literal steel if they are fighting animated armor or a clockwork horror. But wooden walls are going to stop them? Why? Because in the real world we can't trivially shove a sword through a wooden plank? We also aren't as strong as a level 1 fighter. Or do as much damage as a rogue, consider that a high level rogue with sneak attack is capable of dealing more damage than a Ballista (1d8+5d6+5 = 27 damage vs 3d10 = 16 damage). Would you argue that a ballista bolt cannot break through a wooden wall?

Chaosmancer

Legend
Part of the problem I think is implying that once you cross that magical/supernatural line’ that anything magical or supernatural goes. That’s seems to be how some feel but I think there’s a lot of middle ground, like I’m more or less fine with the level of supernatural you described above, but not with what most people say they mean when they say supernatural.

But we don't want "anything". No one has ever asked that the Fighter be able to speak with the dead or see the future. We aren't asking for the fighter to be able to mind control someone into turning on their allies. I think this worry about "fighters will be able to do anything without limit" is massively overblown.

Remove ads