D&D 5E The Magical Martial

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
This is not a post about gishes

The other day in a game I play, my PC was forced in a duel vs a powerful NPC warrior. I won't bore you with the details, but I won - but I felt that perhaps I shouldn't have.1

This made me wonder "is my PC too powerful?". I have some power gamer tendencies after all, and I was playing a third party class (I won't name it, this is not the topic of this thread)2. I compared my PC to a barbarian, figured the barbarian would have done just as well if not better, and concluded, no, it's not OP. But I also compared my level 9 PC to giants, and was startled to discover I had the melee offensive power of a stone giant (better really) and the defensive power of a fire giant (slightly better AC, slightly worse HP, some weak regen).

This means that a level 9 barbarian has similar fighting chops. As would a fighter probably, and the other martials too. My character can go face to face with a giant and have a reasonable chance of winning. That is amazing, incredible. And other high level martials have similarly amazing combat capacities. Implausible to the point of well - it's "magical" isn't it? How else can you explain it?

So if my character fights as well as a giant - should he have other giant powers? Well, it happens that incidentally, he has giant style powers, as he is rather large and very strong. And you know what? It's a lot of fun!

Maybe other martials should perhaps have some flavors from powerful monsters they could best, or emulates? The Monk's hydra style? The dragon fighter? Etc etc? I must admit at the instant I struggle to come up with concrete examples. But surely, this could perhaps make high level martials more interesting, and keep up in a way with the casters.

1 We were confronted by a powerful paladin who felt we had betrayed him, a leader of the Silver Order. We sort of betrayed the order but not really, rather took advantage of them being in a battle vs assisting them. The paladin challenged us to a duel. I tried to dissuade him, and his response was to challenge me first (probably because I'm the most honorable of the party... which isn't saying much ... and disappointed him the most). I realized a duel was inevitable and that I was the party member with the best chance in in a straight fight. I choose the terms - fisticuffs - knowing this would advantage me. So we fought. We dealt each other massive blows. He tried to banish me but I made the save (DC 17, +1 to the save... lucky). My PC not only hits hard, he inflicts damage when hit (he has poison blood that sprays on the foe!) and also has weak regeneration, a familiar assisting him, and cast aid on himself at level 4. It took all that and really hot dice to win. I had 7 hp left.
2: The PC I'm playing is a apothecary (think support int based short rest caster vaguely like a warlock mechanically), subclass mutagenist. This subclass has a unique playstyle: I burn a spell slot to turn into a large brutish humanoid who bashes things. It's like playing a nerd who turns into the hulk when a fight happens. It's from the 2nd Dungeon of Drakkenheim book, which I supported on kickstarter and now have the PDF)

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
I agree.

Even going back to OD&D, a high level fighter (say 9th level) could reasonably expect to take on a pack of wolves or multiple bears singlehandedly in melee combat and kill them all (assuming they didn't flee), without any explicit magical aid. That's not something a person could realistically do. As such, IMO, high level characters have always been implicitly superhuman (magical), even martials.

I would love to see martials become more explicitly magical as they advance in tier. I think that this would go a long way to narrowing the gap between casters and martials. There are already quite a number of sub-classes in 5e that attempt this, but I would like to see them go further with those ideas.

The dragon fighter?
Pathfinder 1st edition has a Fighter archetype called the Dragonheir Scion. They are the martially inclined humanoid descendants of those influenced by draconic power. Unlike their sorcerous brethren, dragonheir scions manifest their heritage in ways more suited to strength of arms and skill with steel than arcane energies. Those who follow this path are often the children of mighty dragon-blooded sorcerers and others who drew energy from their dragon blood, though they themselves might not exhibit spellcasting ability.

aco175

Legend
I would have a problem with PCs getting powers from monster statblocks. I feel they are designed differently and serve different purposes. Monsters are generally designed around a combat and staying around for a few rounds so the powers serve that purpose. A PC's powers are there to go all day or recharge at some point, so to confuse the two would just add more power to the PC.

Of course there are times where a PC getting cool powers is, well cool. You get the STR of a giant, then throw rocks, cool. The problem might be in the damage of rocks and the improvised weapon damage compared to what the giant statblock gives them.

Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for.

1713960398096.png

Yaarel

He Mage
Martial classes are magical and can do the impossible.

The "Primal" power source can be the magic of the "soul". There are different levels of the soul.

• Ki: lifeforce aura around body (Material Plane)
• Spirit: self-identity and its magical influence (Ethereal Plane)
• Consciousness: transcendent mysticism, experiencer of thought and ideals (Astral Plane)

The soul itself is natural and nonmagical, but it can emanate magical effects. (Magic is weird property of existence, analogous to the quantum observer effect.)

This Primal magic of the soul has Psionic magic and Martial magic merge into it.

The Monk, Barbarian, Fighter, and Rogue focus on the magic of the ki.

The Bard and Psion focus on the magic of the spirit.

Note, normal features of nature have souls. Nature beings are conscious. The mountains, rivers, storms, and sunshine (Earth, Water, Air, and Fire respectively) have nonhuman souls but are conscious. The magic of nature beings is Primal.

In the Primal magic of the soul:

• Matter: elemental magic
• Ki: body magic, athletic stunts, wuxia, healing, life magic, shapeshifting
• Spirit: telepathy, charm, domination, telekinesis, force, flight, illusion, quasi-real objects
• Consciousness: divination, teleportation, spacetime, planar magic, summoning

The Fighter class focuses on the body magic of ones own personal ki.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Didn't an entire thread theoretically about the sorcerer but actually on this topic get deleted from existence yesterday? I worry that the universe is trying to tell us something...

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think there is far too much underestimation of real world humans.

That said, a fictional fighter doesn’t need to be magical to exceed real world human capabilities to some degree.

As an example - most a real world human ever lifted was X. Fantasy character lifting X+1 doesn’t scream magical. Fantasy Character lifting a mountain instead of X does scream magical/supernatural. It’s all about the scale.

Yaarel

He Mage
I think there is far too much underestimation of real world humans.

That said, a fictional fighter doesn’t need to be magical to exceed real world human capabilities to some degree.

As an example - most a real world human ever lifted was X. Fantasy character lifting X+1 doesn’t scream magical. Fantasy Character lifting a mountain instead of X does scream magical/supernatural. It’s all about the scale.
In an other thread on Strength, the strongest reallife powerlifter can quantify roughly about: +4 Strength +4 Proficiency.

In other words, roughly "middle tier", levels 9 thru 12.

D&D character classes need to develop capabilities way far beyond this. Higher tiers are unreal.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
In an other thread on Strength, the strongest reallife powerlifter can quantify roughly about: +4 Strength +4 Proficiency.

In other words, roughly "middle tier", level 10 or so.
I’d suggest that means stats like strength are mostly grounded in the real world.
D&D character classes need to develop capabilities way far beyond this. Higher tiers are unreal.
For stats they don’t. A little beyond this +4 vs +5.

For hp they roughly double in durability from level 10 to 20 (possibly a bit more if place asi into con).

Even full casters only get 5 more spell slots from level 10-20, compared to their 15 they had prior.

I don’t think capabilities increase at nearly the rate suggested.

Remove ads