D&D 5E The Mainstreaming of D&D

AOieiosle

Explorer
I mean, honestly, why isn't the answer "play other games"? If someone says I'm disillusioned with XYZ, isn't the answer to try something that's not XYZ?

Soulbound, SPIRE: The City Must Fall, Brindlewood Bay, Everyone is John, Blades in the Dark, ALIEN, Gumshoe, FIASCO, Lady Blackbird, Delta Green, Traveller, etc.

We're in an age of plenty! Change up the menu!

Oofta

Legend
If I see one more cutsie tiefling knitting a confetti scarf...!
EcICrwuX0AEqS2g.png

Reynard

Legend
I mean, honestly, why isn't the answer "play other games"? If someone says I'm disillusioned with XYZ, isn't the answer to try something that's not XYZ?

Soulbound, SPIRE: The City Must Fall, Brindlewood Bay, Everyone is John, Blades in the Dark, ALIEN, Gumshoe, FIASCO, Lady Blackbird, Delta Green, Traveller, etc.

We're in an age of plenty! Change up the menu!
I think there might be a misunderstanding here: I am not talking about issues in playing D&D. I am talking about the commercial nature of the game as it relates to is current popularity. And as I was very clear in stating in my original post, I am not mad. It isn't that I don't think people should enjoy D&D, or that WotC shouldn't try to broaden its appeal. I just don't like the way it feels in this context. That's all.

Laurefindel

Legend
I don't know...

I can tell people I play D&D and look cooldad rather than lamenerd
I can tell my boss(es) I can't work X night because I have a game, and it's taken as a valid reason
People don't give my parents the "what kind of immoral child did you raise!" kind of look
I can LARP without having to pretend its a "historical reenactment fair"
People don't look at me like I'm about the enter the adult section of the video store when I proceed toward RPG books
My interests in roleplaying games on my résumé gets me social-interaction jobs instead of immediately being shoved in the "maybe for the IT dept" bin
Our wives don't look at us like we're big nerdy geeks when we boys get together to play...

ok fine, the last one still needs to be worked on, but otherwise I call this a win!

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases