• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Man in the High Castle: Ep 1 (spoilers for this EP only)

Janx

Hero
Just watched episode 1 of the Amazon original "The Man in the High Castle"

Since I can't gorge on it, I'm trying the one episode/one thread style of discussion like we used to have, per Morrus' suggestion.

I have not read the book, nor had I ever heard of it until recently.

Thus far in the series:
[sblock]
the US lost WW2 and DC got nuked
Nazis suck
Japanese own the west coast
there's a resistance, but they seem to be losing
the main guy character is working for the bad guys
the main girl character has a film that has footage from our timeline
the main girl character's boyfriend is kind of a putz, but not totally since he didn't give her up
[/sblock]

My current theory is that Hitler and Friends (TM) have somehow altered time to get their version of history to happen, and the film is an artifact of the original timeline.

In watching how nobody really trusts anybody as they could be an informant or a spy or whatever, I have to wonder how anybody has any happiness in such a world. Seems like a total stressor to live in a world where you can't trust that you could be next for the Kiln or torture rack.

Also, it was probably a bad idea for the ad agency doing this show for Amazon to re-skin a New York sub way car, but on the other hand, think about how impressively scary that might have been to get on that car that day. Catch-22. Total shock factor like the very concept of the show should be vs. Giving those Nazis an inch on American soil is always wrong.

Has anybody else seen the show yet?

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
No I have not, but I really want to. I lack the drive to go through Amazon at the moment as well.

I will have to live vicariously through your posts. :D

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's really no point putting spoiler blocks in a thread marked for spoilers! Especially since they don't work on mobile devices!

Janx

Hero
There's really no point putting spoiler blocks in a thread marked for spoilers! Especially since they don't work on mobile devices!

I was just trying to be nice for the top post. And I didn't want to spoil the news that the Nazis were the bad guys, in case somebody hadn't gotten that memo. :)

Janx

Hero
All I know of Amazon TV stuff is they have this and Jeremy Clarkson's new car show.

My wife liked Bosch on Amazon Prime, so I guess that's something. Not sure of any other AP shows yet. I heard Jeremy Clarkson wasn't a nice guy, so I'm wary of giving his show a chance.

Remove ads