The Mandalorian | Official Trailer | Disney+ | Streaming Nov. 12

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
But I remember people being upset about his unceremonious (humorous) death.
Return of the Jedi was the time when Lucas wanted to be done with Star Wars. He was sick of Hollywood shenanigans, going through several directors at this point, and finally settling for one who would allow him to direct him from the backseat.

Lucas was not happy with the Sarlaac. Carrie Fisher, in particular, was brutal in her nickname for the poorly constructed prop. (You'll need to google or look up what she said as I won't challenge the filters or the CoC here.) There was disagreements on how to handle Fett's defeat. Lucas wanted to make it more epic, but budgets and effects being what they were limited his options. Frustrated, he finally just said "Toss him in the pit" and left the shoot for the day.

Hussar

Legend
Again, not caring. It was a throwaway character just like the bajillion other throwaway characters in Star Wars. Only thing is, once the EU got rolling, EVERYONE got a backstory and a bloody novel. It was ludicrous.

And, the EU is what's killing Star Wars now. Grumbling fanboys who cannot bear to see any interpretation of the stories other than their own, who are so deeply embedded in the fandom that they cannot understand how they are choking the life from the IP and can't let it go.

See, because like @Mercurious above, I saw the originals in the theater. I played with the toys. Heck, even read the Thrawn books, because, well, they were pretty darn good. But, that's about as far as it goes. Played the old Tie fighter game back in the day too AIR. But all that other stuff? Totally bypassed me. So, frankly, I really, really don't care.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm terrible with names but just watched Deadpool the other day.

Just found out the NR ex commando was in that and Pedro was in GoT.

I only recognised Gianocarlo from Breaking Bad.

Derp.

Again, not caring. It was a throwaway character just like the bajillion other throwaway characters in Star Wars. Only thing is, once the EU got rolling, EVERYONE got a backstory and a bloody novel. It was ludicrous.

And, the EU is what's killing Star Wars now. Grumbling fanboys who cannot bear to see any interpretation of the stories other than their own, who are so deeply embedded in the fandom that they cannot understand how they are choking the life from the IP and can't let it go.
Well, the "old EU" is also what kept Star Wars a cash cow between the trilogies. If we didn't have that, chances are good there would be no new Star Wars at all, because it would have been forgotten.

Also it seems to be a false dichotomy to claim that new Star Wars could not possibly retain the EU fans. It's just there particular approach didn't work to retain them. And if the EU fans not watching Star Wars is what's "killing" Star Wars now, then it means that it should have taken a different approach to keep this EU fans, because clearly they are neccessary.

That said, the claim that "EU fans are killing Star Wars now" seems quite questionable, I believe only the Solo movie wasn't a success. Maybe that was due to missteps in TLJ as critical fans claim, but they could gasp be wrong about that and it was just that no one really cared that much about Han Solo's backstory. Or the people that would have cared where those terrible EU fans that kill Star Wars, and they had already a decent Han Solo backstory trilogy in novel form and didn't need a new take.
But again, if the EU fans are killing Star Wars, then only because they are sizeable part of the Star Wars fandom, and it's not a good move to alienate them.

But I honestly believe the EU has not that much to do with it. If anything, it's the reason people still care so much about Star Wars and its idiosyncrasies, because it kept the interest alive.

But I think it's also fairly easy to understand that people are not really happy if the Hero of a trilogy of movies turns into a failure that has given up on helping people and abandonded the family he gained in the trilogy. You don't need to be versed in the EU to think that maybe this is not the story that every fan of the OT wanted to see. I am not even sure if that is the story J.J.Abrahms wanted to see when he made TFA.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, the "old EU" is also what kept Star Wars a cash cow between the trilogies. If we didn't have that, chances are good there would be no new Star Wars at all, because it would have been forgotten.

Also it seems to be a false dichotomy to claim that new Star Wars could not possibly retain the EU fans. It's just there particular approach didn't work to retain them. And if the EU fans not watching Star Wars is what's "killing" Star Wars now, then it means that it should have taken a different approach to keep this EU fans, because clearly they are neccessary.

That said, the claim that "EU fans are killing Star Wars now" seems quite questionable, I believe only the Solo movie wasn't a success. Maybe that was due to missteps in TLJ as critical fans claim, but they could gasp be wrong about that and it was just that no one really cared that much about Han Solo's backstory. Or the people that would have cared where those terrible EU fans that kill Star Wars, and they had already a decent Han Solo backstory trilogy in novel form and didn't need a new take.
But again, if the EU fans are killing Star Wars, then only because they are sizeable part of the Star Wars fandom, and it's not a good move to alienate them.

But I honestly believe the EU has not that much to do with it. If anything, it's the reason people still care so much about Star Wars and its idiosyncrasies, because it kept the interest alive.

But I think it's also fairly easy to understand that people are not really happy if the Hero of a trilogy of movies turns into a failure that has given up on helping people and abandonded the family he gained in the trilogy. You don't need to be versed in the EU to think that maybe this is not the story that every fan of the OT wanted to see. I am not even sure if that is the story J.J.Abrahms wanted to see when he made TFA.

I think the treatment if Han and Luke in particular lost a lot of fans as well. Leia to a lesser extent.

Failing to develop the new characters as well such as Finn doing the coward to hero routine twice over.

OT characters changed from ANH to ESB, imperious princess to base commander, farm boy to Jedi apprentice, mercenary pilot to heroic. Flipping Finn's potential romance angle with Rey to new relationship with new character and 0 chemistry from the actors.

Mercurius

Legend
I think the treatment if Han and Luke in particular lost a lot of fans as well. Leia to a lesser extent.

Failing to develop the new characters as well such as Finn doing the coward to hero routine twice over.

OT characters changed from ANH to ESB, imperious princess to base commander, farm boy to Jedi apprentice, mercenary pilot to heroic. Flipping Finn's potential romance angle with Rey to new relationship with new character and 0 chemistry from the actors.

I agree with all of this, if from a less-invested place (I really like SW, but don't love it to the degree that you clearly do, so I can understand why this stuff would bother you so much).

Star Wars has never really done characters well, but Han, Luke and Leia--not to mention Obi-Wan, Vader, Lando and others--were all very distinct in the original trilogy. I won't even go into the prequels, but the characters have generally felt flat in the sequels, and it seems to have less to do with the actors than it does with the scripts.

For instance, Oscar Isaac is one of my favorite actors of his generation (he was born in 1979, so is late Gen X/cusp of Millenial), but Dameron Poe is like a mash-up of the least interesting elements of Luke and Han. John Boyega has also played some good roles, but Finn must be the most annoying of the main characters. Adam Driver is a brilliant comedic and physical actor but just miscast, or poorly written. Daisy Ridley is probably the best of the new protags, in terms of combination of acting and script, but she has her own problems and hasn't really distinguished her own unique flavor of heroism.

But the treatment of Han and Luke is the worst. I don't mind Luke being troubled, or Han dying, but I just hate the feeling that their lives post Return of the Jedi were rather miserable. Obviously we can't know this, but that's the feeling I get from the sequels. It sort of makes that Ewok party seem rather hollow. Happily Ever After might be unrealistic, but maybe Somewhat Happily For Sometime After?

Hussar

Legend
You misunderstand me. EU fans are killing Star Wars, not because they aren't watching, but, because every single thing that comes out gets dogpiled and giant piles of feces flung around as hard as they can, no matter what.

IOW, the movies haven't even been given a chance to succeed. The notion that folks might not be bothered by Han, the amoral smuggler, being so stricken by his failure as a parent that he abandons Leia, as not being all that much of a stretch. Remember, he didn't leave until AFTER Kylo Ren went evil.

If your child turned out to be a mass murdering monster, it might put a strain on your marriage too.

Remove ads