The mandalorian [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyLord

Legend
We're not watching it because Disney has decided we're not allowed to until March. And that's not how we roll, watching all our friends talk about a show we're not allowed to watch.

I'm really against piracy. I'll pay for stuff any time I'm allowed to. This broke me.

I haven't seen it either.

It does seem like the move by Disney is a good way to promote piracy though, so maybe not the best move on their part.

On the otherhand I think they'd be more concerned about China, Russia, and Israel and piracy there than Western Europe and the UK overall.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
The delay in the UK is due to licensing with Sky. Disney failed to acquire Sky, and has active license agreements with Sky that end in early 2020. So, Disney+ is delayed until licensing is cleared up and Disney can release the full service. Otherwise they'd have to cut out licensed titles for UK only. In other words, business, business, business, money, money. money.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
As for the release schedule for Mandalorian being weekly, I don't get the whinging about it. For me, it's working well because I get to discuss the episodes with people at the same rate instead of feeling out where they (or I) are in the binge and only talking up to that point. I'm adult enough to be able to offset the need for instant gratification. If you need to binge, that's cool, wait until January then subscribe for a month. In the meantime, I'll have seen all the series and had time to talk about it with friends in a synchronized and leisurely fashion. Good luck avoid spoilers!

Zardnaar

Legend
That doesn't explain, or even come close to making sense, concerning launching the service in Nov here in the USA & then 4 months later in the UK.

Nor would that stop someone here in the US from signing up in Jan, watching all of Mandolorian S1 in about two evenings+ whatever else over the next few weeks, & canceling prior to Feb.

Once you binge though they're not going to have much new content.

We can do a 22 episode season of Stargate or whatever in a week, that's two seasons of the Simpsons.

We can also skip the first 8 seasons or so due to them being on so much here. IDK if we'll do Simpson binge but the only thing we're watching atm is Bosch on Amazon.

I'll watch the MCU movies as I haven't watched most of them.

Nebulous

Legend
He has a cape. He has no jet pack or weird missile on his back. He doesn't pilot Slave-1. His armour is blue not green. He doesn't have that arial antenna thing coming out of his helmet. He's clearly not Boba Fett.

Right, he's not Boba Fett. Is he deliberately reminiscent of Boba Fett? Absolutely. But he ain't Boba Fett.

Nebulous

Legend
They haven’t chosen to explain it to us.

The service launches in the US, Canada and the Netherlands on November 12 and on November 19 in Australia and New Zealand.

But in the UK, and almost all of Europe, the shining Disney media future is a bit further off. So why the extra wait? Simon Brew, founder and editor of Film Stories magazine, recently highlighted the licensing hurdles that Disney has to go through before a UK launch, and the most notable of those are to do with its existing contracts with European broadcasting behemoth Sky.

Brew says that it's because of the need to wait out licence terms, rather than for any technical reason, that viewers in most of Europe will have to wait for Disney+ but, he says, "it's a temporary problem, and not unique to the UK ... 20th Century Fox has pre-existing deals with broadcasters and streamers, signed before Disney took it over. And Disney itself had long and rich contracts with the likes of Sky. Ideally, Disney would have liked to have bought Sky too, but it was effectively gazumped by Comcast."

Nebulous

Legend
I can only speculate, but I think they were trying to find a way to "lock in" their viewers, and keep them from cancelling their subscriptions after the first month. The majority of viewers will subscribe on the 1st of the month when the show becomes available, watch all the episodes over the next 1d6+1 days, and then unsubscribe. Apparently this is a problem?

Actually, it sounds like a licensing issue that Disney has with Sky. I guess they could have waited until March 2020 to release the whole kaboodle worldwide, but that would have significantly impacted their Star Wars Rise of Skywalker timeline. And Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads