D&D 5E The March D&D Book Will Be Announced Next Tuesday

As has become standard these days, the upcoming D&D book has appeared -- in an anonymous, secretive guise -- on various bookstores in advance of an announcement. In this case, Amazon, Penguin Random House, and Barnes & Noble, all of whom confirm that the book will be announced next Tuesday on January 12th, and released on March 16th.

The book will cost $49.99. B&N has its dimensions as being 6.5 x 9.5 inches, which is smaller than a standard D&D hardcover (but that information could just be a placeholder). B&N also indicates that the authors are Peter Lee and Rodney Thompson, but they also say that for Tasha's Cauldron and other WotC books, so that also looks like it's just their boilerplate for WotC. There's also an ISBN number: 978-0786967223.

This is almost an exact mirror of this time last year, almost down to the dates (last year it appeared on stores on Jan 6th, was announced as Explorer's Guide to Wildemount on Jan 9th, and released March 17th).

There's been plenty of speculation recently. Last year WotC said that three classic settings were getting active attention, and that the coming years would have a greater emphasis on settings, as well as more anthologies and Magic: The Gathering collaborations. And, of course, WotC has recently been involved in a Dragonlance lawsuit, which was voluntarily dismissed in December with Margaret Weis tweeting that there was exciting news in the weeks to come.

soon.jpg

Last edited:

Faolyn

(she/her)
I would love a Dark Sun setting book.

They can expand the survivalism from RotFM and Tasha's brought in psionics.

I think that if you were to put up a poll on any D&D forum entitled "how do you want psionics to be done," with the choices being (A) point system, (B) spell slot system, or (C) something else entirely, you'd find that each of those options got an even third of the votes.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I want Planescape, Ravenloft, and a Draconomicon, but I think the latter two are more likely.

Draconomicon/Council of Wyrms?

I adore Ravenloft--it's my go-to setting--but I so seriously dislike Curse of Strahd to the point that I'm very hesitant about a 5e version. I'd love Planescape, since they've already put out the framework for the Renown and Piety systems, which are both very useful for a game with major factions and a bunch of gods walking around.

I'm kind of rooting for Hollow World. I've never played it and I don't know all that much about it. From what I read, it has an interesting pulp feel and techno-elves, which would be really cool.

GarrettKP

Explorer
So this doesn’t seem like the announcement Tuesday, but...

definitely not the Tuesday announcement. It’s releasing in July. BUT I’m feeling really good about my Q2 Dragonlance Setting Book prediction.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Maybe it could be like Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, covering Undead, Dragon, and a few other monster types (Fey? Aberrations? Celestials?) with chapters about character options for them? The "Undead/Shadow" category could be Vistani, as they wander the Shadowfell, along with the Undead Warlock and Spirits Bards. The Dragon section could have the Ascendant Dragon Monk and the Drakewarden Ranger, and probably the Dragonborn racial feats from Xanathar's, maybe a reprint of the Kobold, and possibly options for Gem Dragonborn.

(If they had a chapter on Fey, they could reprint Satyrs, Centaurs, and Eladrin, and maybe even the Feywanderer Ranger. If they had a chapter on Aberrations, they could do the Kalashtar/Simic Hybrid as an aberrant race and the Aberrant Mind Sorcerer. If they did Celestials, they could reprint Aasimar and the Divine Soul Sorcerer and Celestial Warlock. I doubt they'd do all of this, as that would be 8 subclasses for a monster book, but it would fit the theme.)
They could combine them--do a book of the planes that focuses on the Shadowfell, Feywild, and Far Realms. That would cover your UA undead archetypes, and I'm sure there's still room for more fey or madness archetypes.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
They could combine them--do a book of the planes that focuses on the Shadowfell, Feywild, and Far Realms. That would cover your UA undead archetypes, and I'm sure there's still room for more fey or madness archetypes.
That fits the Neverwinter Sharandar feywild connection.
I’d love that.

So this doesn’t seem like the announcement Tuesday, but...

Yeah...

I've mentioned previously after we found out the lawsuit was dropped that we could see something of a "Year of the Dragon" in 2021. Dragon-themed monster book, Dragonlance setting book, dragon-themed adventure (a full module and/or an anthology), maybe even an update of the old DL modules. It would be logical and definitely synergize things nicely...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases