• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Mist and the Moon

Mythmere

First Post
Redfingered Deevid and Big Seamus follow you to your table as Kairen bustles about setting the table with a hearty stew and tankards of ale. As Kairen heads back to the kitchen to fetch a loaf of bread, Deevid steps up again, eyeing the kitchen door carefully.
"You see, for the last week, we've been finding dead goats and wild animals near the village. We tracked the blood trail back to a deep cave by the side of the river, and when we went into the cave, three ogres attacked us. One of us was killed before we got away. We can’t offer much, but we can pay 93 lunars to add to whatever treasure the ogres have.”

ooc: lunars are gold pieces.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Froederick lets out a loud guffaw
'Ogres!?! Why, tis no problem, Good Folk.
Why this Warhorn (he pulls on a cord tied around his chest, until a short curled black Horn shows)
I made from a horn cut from Rackenscald the Beast, meanest Ogre to ever haunt the Moonfallows, who was terrorizing the small hamlet of Ulrfensjord. Aye, it seems hardly fair, 4 of us and only 3 Ogres to go around. I suppose we will have to dice for who gets left out. In all seriousness, though, that goat(gestures towards the dead goat on the hillside)looked as if something more wild had been at it. Ogres would have taken the Carcass. On our way here, we met a traveller who mentioned a Gryffon...now that seems more likely to waste a good goat than an Ogre.

garyh

First Post
"Aye, true," Jarsan agreed, "but these good folk did lose a friend to those ogres, and if we can bring them some solace in slaying the brutes, I say let it be done."

GoldenEagle

First Post
Millathos looks to and froe, counting adventurers as he goes one - two - three...where is four...they couldn't possibly be counting me... as he gulps and sighs he straightens his cloak... no need to dice, I can just help...yes, I'll help!. "Ogres...why that is our specialty...We'll have the griffon for dinner! " Millathos tries to look confident.:p

Chonicler

First Post
"Be at ease, good halfling," Xes says warmly, seeing his false bravado. "There is little to worry about - I have dealt with such beasts before, and I have no doubt that some of our companions are likewise prepared for such an encounter."

He turns to the villagers. "If the matter is truly ogres, I'm sure we'll be able to clear it up quickly. However, I - like Frederick here- am not entirely sure that it is merely ogres that trouble your village. More likely it seems that they might have merely taken advantage of already-slain prey, ogres being the lazy and gluttonous brutes that they are. We will investigate, surely, but we would not think of depriving you of your lunars - the outdoors can provide us with what we need for this outing."

"In any case, I suggest we set out immediately - I have known ogres mostly to hunt at night, their cowardice provoking them to choose a time when potential prey may be asleep. It is a good seven hours before nightfall, and if we hurry, we could catch them as they awake and are still groggy."

He retrieves his staff from the inn floor.

"While your hospitality is generous, I'm afraid it would be best for us to accept after we've solved your trouble - we would be most willing to accept afterward - it could be a celebration, a feast even."

Last edited:

Mythmere

First Post
"Very well," says Redfingered Deevid. I will lead you to the Ogre Hole.

The four of you follow Redfingered Deevid down to the bank of the river, almost directly south of Banlorne. The ogre hole is a large cave mouth in the steep bank of the river. It is obviously the place you have been looking for. Two trees are broken down near the hole, and there are bones strewn around the mouth of the cave. Getting down to it may be a little difficult, because the bank is so steep.

OOC I am attaching a grid with letters and numbers for you to identify relative locations. Please let me know the marching order. The top of the grid is north.

Attachments

• gridgif.gif
    gridgif.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 102

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
(To the Other Heroes)
'Well, my fellow liberators of Banlorne, what say Ye on Strategy? I favor approaching unawares, then
calling the beasts out in challenge. Ogres are stupid, and easy to rile and taunt. Besides, crawling into their hole could get very messy.
(To Redfingered Deevid)
'My Good Man, as I said, my Steed is in need of a good currying (takes out a silver coin), I'd be very grateful if some lad would do the honor, for although Brit would relish smacking an ogre with his Warrior's Hooves, still he's been riden too long without a rest.'
At this Brit whinnies in protest, one might think he was talking to the Gnome.
Forederich whispers (a bit too loudly) 'Brit, someone has to look after these Folk while we're Killing Ogres. I figured, what with you being the toughest Hero of us all, it'd be you'
'Right lads, so how's it gonna go, this Ogre Hunt?'

Chonicler

First Post
"No, I think it might be more expedient to take the fight to the ogres themselves, as we might, with luck, catch them sleeping. As for organization, I suggest Jarsan and I take the front, followed by Froedrich and then Millathos - that way our strengths are maximized and our weaknesses are guarded. Not to call you a weakness, friend gnome, but it seems that your talents lie more in the delicate workings of magic than in rude swinging of swords."

"I can send Therus down and into the mouth of the cave for a better look," Xes says, stroking his hawk, "Though I shouldn't like to send him too deeply underground, and if we have a better method for scouting, we ought to use that instead."

OOC: Oops - halfling, gnome; same thing. I edited it. My suggestion for marching order: Froedrich and Xes in 5C and 5E, respectively, Jarsan in 4D (the center, since you're our strongest fighter, and that puts us in range for flanking if they charge down the middle, and easily in range of a 5-foot step if they attack one of us, and since I just realized I'm the only one with healing, that puts me in range of all of you for healing), and Millathos in 4E (so you'll have time to cast shield and use increased expeditious retreat movement to come around and fight).

Last edited:

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
OOC:I can heal as well, any Good cleric can sub Cure spells, remember> :D I am a Priest of a War God, rememeber, and with my Magic Weapon and a Bless up, I have an attack bonus of +6, not too shabby. Perhaps we should send in the halfling to scout the area :D Well, I'm off to work. I'm OK with any marching order, although I'd like to have a bit of advanced warning of a fight (for the 2 spells I mentioned), so perhaps having our halfling near the fron is a good idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads