The Most Popular D&D Character Name Is "Bob"

What's the name of your D&D character? The folks at D&D Beyond have released some more stats, and this time they're sharing the top 15 D&D player character names.
What's the name of your D&D character? The folks at D&D Beyond have released some more stats, and this time they're sharing the top 15 D&D player character names.

dndnames.png

What these stats appear to tell us is that many people call their character "Bob", and even more seems to just use their class name, such as "Cleric" or "Bard". Lots of people seems to name their characters after Game of Thrones' Varys, but spell it differently, and lots like "dark" names like Ash, Raven, Ember, and Shadow.

More realistically, it may be that many of these are simply experimental builds, with placeholder names. The folks at D&D Beyond (watch the stream here) say that these are the most popular names "for characters on D&D Beyond", although the other data elements shown on that stream were specific to material used from Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

Numbers-wise, they're not saying those are all the characters on D&D Beyond - there will be thousands of names used which are used less than 755 times each, and possibly even thousands which are used just once. The table above only shows the top 15, and how often they were used.

Hey, my real name is #7 on the list.

Your name is a good for that list. I'm just glad my name is not on that list. The primary human feudal cultural names in my game are pretty "real life" (medieval real life anyway), including "Robert"... which means I have number of "Bob" NPCs in my game :)

Squeatus

Explorer
I'm pretty sure Bob is actually the most popular character name of all time, regardless of what the armchair data analysis claims to reveal.

xangpow

Explorer
If you name your character "Bob" I am naming my character "Pencil" because if we are going with the "no imagination" method then lets go really stupid. ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads