The Mourning After (Horror) (IC)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Maladiel studies the pamphlet, intrigued. For a moment his memories of being a dirtpoor urchin come back to him; if only he had had a chicken to sell for even half this price, who knows how different his life would've turned out?

He shakes his head, returning to the present. He likes where he is now, with a lot more wealth and priviliges than most. Usually.

"Dinosaurs?" he asks Ozzar teasingly. "Why would you want to go near those things? They're bity, and I'm sure the only one of us to properly ride it would be the gnome here."

With an almost imperceptible wink to the dwarf, Mal turns to Eixek and asks not-too-seriously, "Or do you have any large ones to carry a dwarf with more muscles than sense?"

OOC: So sorry about my long absence, guys!

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Malix looked over the grounds around the office and roamed a bit around the area looking for anything not belonging here. While he doesn't skulk around looking suspicious, he does try to remain out of sight, waiting out anyone walking by and approaching only close enough to see what someone's doing.

OOC: so he kinda strolls around, but keeps low profile, if he notices someone and is not seen, he fades a bit until that person passes and if he notices anyone doing something, he observes from the distance and hidden. Again, as 'I'm not actually hiding' thing as possible. He doesn't suddenly drop down if someone notices him, after all he does have an excuse. He just prefers not to be noticed,

Perception; Stealth: 1D20+5 = [16]+5 = 21
1D20+5 = [11]+5 = 16

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"Why Fastieth are dinosaurs, one of the more popular and docile breeds, originally domesticated by the halflings here on the plains! Faster than most horses and capable of impressive bursts of speed, while being able to turn on a silver sovereign! Their only drawback is that the bigger members of your group won't be able to ride one!" Eixek continues his sales pitch. "If the prices are a bit out of reach, we have a branch of House Kundarak's Banking Guild available to work out a loan! The Farmers Branch to be exact, they are quite flexible on what they will take as collateral. They even have a profit sharing program to keep interest rates low!"

On your patrols around the grounds, you are drawn to the building with the House Crest. The other buildings are seemingly normal for such a business, however this clearly guarded more diligently than the rest. You watch people enter and exit the building on tight schedule, even going as far as to wait around to be let into the building. These people don't quite match up with your preconceptions of a rancher, reminding you of scholars or mages instead. The Crest appears to be some kind of lock, and the most likely key is a Dragonmark. Every half hour a Vadalis Sion comes by to open the door for those that don't have a mark of their own.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"Aren't the halflings upset that you sell dinosaurs?" Maladiel says in surprise, inwardly thankful for this lead.

"Or that people like us buy them?"

The half-elf looks around as if expecting House Ghallandra or Clan Boromir to rush in at any moment now.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
"The Halflings aren't a Monolith." Eixek explains. "Some of Mask Weavers disapproved of the idea for traditions sake. But most recognized a lucrative business opportunity when presented with one!" The man says with a wink and a grin. "Still, out of respect for our partners here, some of the dinosaurs aren't sold outside of trusted channels."
"No offence intended to present company I assure you!"
He quickly amends. "It's just that some of them, like the Sharptooth Titans, require an entire supply division's worth of support! Standard affair for a mercenary company, House, or government. But a bit out of reach for the general public, you understand."

"People shouldn't ride anything. Animals are for hauling and helping, not riding. You have perfectly functional legs to go places." grumps Ozzar

He starts feeling lack of drink and is actually happy he's in the wilds so there is no easy access. But that doesn't make it easier.

Neurotic

He strolls easily, looking around a bit confusedly, turning his head this way and that.
"Hello, can you point me toward my group? We were on a tour and I got distracted by your beautiful animals. You know, the adventurers, not two of them alike?"

Malix kept to himself until he got a chance to disappear into the grounds. He tried to approach the mysterious building and peek inside. Slithering through the grass and cursing the daylight, he patiently freezes when someone is coming or going where he could be detected.

OOC: he will NOT sneak if there are obvious guards on the outside, they are undercover and getting caught sneaking is worse than being turned away. By guards, I include the animals that don't wonder off over the time of his observation which might indicate trained guards or intelligence.
Stealth +5; Perception +5; Investigation +0 as needed.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Malix notes a pen nearby the strange building. While the animals outside don't look like they are trained to be guards, the possibility that they could raise the alarm couldn't be risked. Fortunately, while approaching the building to talk to the staff, one leads a horse inside the stables, allowing for a peak inside.

The inside of the building is pristine and clinical. You would have a hard time believing animals were kept here if not for the fact you see a few kept in the pens. Also of note is what appears to be a set of stairs to the left of the entrance leading below the ground floor.

He strolls easily, looking around a bit confusedly, turning his head this way and that.
"Hello, can you point me toward my group? We were on a tour and I got distracted by your beautiful animals. You know, the adventurers, not two of them alike?"

"Must be the customers Eixek was seeing?" A Dragonmarked staff member answers while stroking his beard. "Should be in the office over yonder, I recon." He closes the door without much fuss as the emblem above it glows for just a moment. "I'll take you on over."

Back in the office.

Eixek busts a gut laughing after Ozzar's grumpings. "Oh we have plenty of working animals available, what kind of work did you need done?"

Neurotic

"Must be the customers Eixek was seeing?" A Dragonmarked staff member answers while stroking his beard. "Should be in the office over yonder, I recon." He closes the door without much fuss as the emblem above it glows for just a moment. "I'll take you on over."
"Thank you. You got quite a big place here. Obviously, with all the animals. You must have an entire army of support personnel." Malix walks next to the man still looking around
"How do you ever keep your secrets with all that. Sorry, not my business, but I couldn't but notice you using your Mark there. But still, even a perfect lock only blocks the door. And people talk." he raises both his hands in a surrender gesture "Don't answer, please, I'm just musing aloud, not trying to steal the secrets. On the other hand, we're a bunch of adventurers and if you have problems that need solving...well, here we are. Getting that perfect griffin maybe? A sting off of a wyvern? Bandits raiding your stores? Whatever. Must be better than what my companions are planning, getting lost in the wild in hope of hitting paydirt."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tillington listens to Malix speak. He waves feebly at the mention of "adventurers" -- is that what he is now? not a refugee or a criminal on the run? -- but wants to be supportive where he can, nodding away.

[help action on a social check?]

Last edited:

Remove ads