• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Nature of the Shield Spell

lonelynoose

First Post
According to the actual RAW, Fireball does NOT engulf an entire area simultaneously (it's an explosion that spreads from a point - the spell's text actually says this) and those within do NOT necessarily take equal damage (half damage on a save or less, reduced to zero on a save with Evasion).

Well, sh*t.

Ganymede81

First Post
The shield spell creates a full body field that coalesces into shimmering crystal barrier when the field detects a discrete attack approaching it. The crystal barrier does not activate when it does not detect a discrete attack, such as a fireball or dragon's breath.

That's how I see it.

To my knowledge the AC hit by an attack roll is not secret information. Nowhere in the making an attack section of the rules is there a step " Do not reveal the result of the attack roll. " I know this won't sit well with some people who believe the attack roll results need to be secret but there really isn't a reason to hide it.

The Monster Manual talks about monster attacks and says to refer to the rules in the Player's Handbook. So as far as I can tell the players and the DM use the same rules to have characters under their control make attacks. I guess players could not reveal their attack roll results to the DM and all combats stall out after one attack roll but the I honestly believe the roll results are meant to be shared so the game can continue past the first attack.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Well Sage Advice, answered by Mr Mearles, says the caster should know if the shield spell will block the attack. Now you can GM/house rule it as you like but it seems to me the intent was the caster knows.

ro

First Post
To my knowledge the AC hit by an attack roll is not secret information. Nowhere in the making an attack section of the rules is there a step " Do not reveal the result of the attack roll. " I know this won't sit well with some people who believe the attack roll results need to be secret but there really isn't a reason to hide it.

The Monster Manual talks about monster attacks and says to refer to the rules in the Player's Handbook. So as far as I can tell the players and the DM use the same rules to have characters under their control make attacks. I guess players could not reveal their attack roll results to the DM and all combats stall out after one attack roll but the I honestly believe the roll results are meant to be shared so the game can continue past the first attack.

This is right. If the DM knows the character AC, then the players should know the monster AC. If the DM can roll in secret, then the players can roll in secret. If the DM doesn't need to specify what spell is cast before a saving throw is made, then the players don't need to either, etc. If you are playing it different, then the DM is being controlling rather than letting the players play their characters.

If the characters are ignorant, so are the monsters. But we should remember that characters actually know far more than the players playing them, know exactly what the terrain looks like, what the attacks look, feel, sound, etc., like, know all of the history that they have learned throughout life, have heard stories, have years of experience, etc. Hiding rolls is taking from the players something that their characters would innately know.

hejtmane

Explorer
The argument counter to that is that if you get hit even with Shield up, then you never cast Shield in the first place, because Shield would have blocked that hit, so there's no point in holding back the roll result.
Except shield last until the end of turn how do you handle multi attack where some may still hit. I do not give the number I roll I let them know they where hit. I give them plenty lead way as it is none of my guys complain about it; or call hit unfair.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a character who uses shield, and I am not told the number rolled (because we play through a VTT and it would slow the game down for the DM to make dice cups for all the opponents, when he can just quickly roll physical dice). In no way do I feel the spell is underpowered or I am cheated by not knowing for certain if the spell will block the triggering attack. I mean, it gives me a +5 AC for a round, and I don't need to use it until I think there is a good chance it will help...and then it keeps on helping against any other attacks.

It seems to me that granting certain knowledge of whether or not the spell will block the attack is turning an already excellent spell (almost a must have spell) into a ridiculously good spell.

If you are only ever targeted by one attack per round, then I suppose you might not feel the spell is that amazing at lowish (but above 1st-2nd) levels, but once you gain a few levels, even if you only are targeted by a single attack, a solid chance to block a nasty slap of damage at the cost of only a 1st level slot and a reaction starts looking really good.

Except shield last until the end of turn how do you handle multi attack where some may still hit. I do not give the number I roll I let them know they where hit. I give them plenty lead way as it is none of my guys complain about it; or call hit unfair.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Only the first hit on which the player declared the intention to cast Shield matters for why Shield should always work to turn the hit into a miss or not be cast at all. If other attacks hit after the first hit is blocked, it's because the Shield didn't move fast enough to keep blocking more attacks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads