D&D 5E The "need" for "official rulings"...?

pming

Legend
Hiya.

I've seen multiple people over multiple threads and forums ask for an "official ruling as to X, Y or Z". Can anyone tell my why this seems to come up so often? I can understand a question where two rules in the same game contradict each other. For example, Rule #1 says "Take X and add 3", and Rule #23 says "Take X and multiply by 3". Those are obvious contradictions, but when Rule 23 says "Take X and add adjustments", there is no contradiction...one rule just doesn't specify something specific.

Anyway, my point is this: Are there actual groups out there where the game comes to a grinding halt if there is no "official way to handle" something? Now, someone asking for other folks opinions on something is fine...to me that indicates that the person asking is looking for opinions so that they can make their own final decision. But someone asking specifically for "official responses/decrees" strikes me as someone who can't make up their own mind and needs some sort of outside "father figure approval".

Am I just the rarity that weighs "Phil from down the block" and "Mike Merals from WotC" as equals as far as RPG advice/rulings go? o_O

^_^

Paul L. Ming

In my case, it's a case of knowing the rules well enough to break them. I'm happy making the call on my own, but knowing what the designers intended informs my choice, and helps me figure if there are any unforeseen ripple effects.

In my case, it's a case of knowing the rules well enough to break them. I'm happy making the call on my own, but knowing what the designers intended informs my choice, and helps me figure if there are any unforeseen ripple effects.

Yea, +1 to the rodent of the dark, but I will add that not just when I run but when I play, I like to know what is working as intended and what is not...

I hate when someone makes changes with out thinking it through (both as a DM and player) I don't mind when they do think it through. the vaiger and less in the rules the harder it is to see what the default is

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
In my case, I like knowing the rules to the game. You know, so I can play the game the "right" way ;)

(Of course, I do house rule, etc. But really, I do want to know what the game designers meant. Because I bought their book, and paid for the rules, and stuff.)

There are some players who actually think that other people many miles away know what is more fun for their gaming group then they themselves do. It is a truly bizarre phenomenon.

Emerikol

Adventurer
I've never felt bound by the rules. Those college guys would hate me at least at first. To me the DM is the interface to the world. What he says happens is what happens. The rules are guidelines to aid in consistency but they are not a straightjacket. The DM just needs to not reveal things mid combat.

It doesn't hurt though to know what Wotc devs think. I wouldn't let their slowness to answer ever stop my game from going forward though.

fjw70

Adventurer
It's nice to know the designers' intent. Not necessary and it doesn't mean I will use their rulings, but still nice to know.

Remove ads