• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The new Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set - and online tools?

pemerton

Legend
If WotC is paying money for people to acquire the Starter Set, in the hope that they'll buy a PHB, then I think something has gone horribly wrong.

adamc

First Post
I dunno. I honestly could see them doing this. A sort of reverse OGL. You get the rules of the game (largely) for free, but no one is allowed to publish them. Anyone who wants to publish 5e material will have to do individual licenses with WOTC. This way, they don't run into the Pathfinder issues sometime down the road, and they get all sorts of goodwill from the people who play (rather than those who publish) by making the game so available.

Heck, the play test rules are already out there on exactly this sort of agreement. Why not carry one like this?
I'm a 4e guy, but I don't see this as taking the place of OGL -- the big advantage of OGL (from my point of view) is that it enables the community to produce shareable content.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
So, I'm going to look inside my crystal ball and do a small prediction:
At tomorrow's L&L Mike Mearls is going to announce that they will release Basic D&D, for free, on WotC site in July, he will probably give some details on what will be in it and what wouldn't be in it.

There might be something about Standard and Advanced D&D but it might be the subject of later L&L.

Warder

Agamon

Adventurer
looking back we were talking about the 8 pound price. that is, I think, a loss leader for someone, probably Amazon.

This is an odd thing to believe if you also think there should be more in the box...

Heck, it's already a loss leader, might as well add a 300-page book to it and be done with it. :D

Seriously, though, these guys are game designers. They probably wanted to include as much as possible but had to cut corners somewhere to squeeze it don to the price point they wanted. The compromise was to allow what had to be cut as a free download.

That, or these guys are right bastards, and did it just to spite people that post on message boards.

One of the two.

Hussar

Legend
I'm a 4e guy, but I don't see this as taking the place of OGL -- the big advantage of OGL (from my point of view) is that it enables the community to produce shareable content.

But, you'd still have shareable content. The only difference would be, you couldn't charge for it.

darjr

I crit!
This is an odd thing to believe if you also think there should be more in the box...

Heck, it's already a loss leader, might as well add a 300-page book to it and be done with it. :D

Seriously, though, these guys are game designers. They probably wanted to include as much as possible but had to cut corners somewhere to squeeze it don to the price point they wanted. The compromise was to allow what had to be cut as a free download.

That, or these guys are right bastards, and did it just to spite people that post on message boards.

One of the two.

How about neither and take them at their word? I just don't agree.

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
At tomorrow's L&L Mike Mearls is going to announce that they will release Basic D&D, for free, on WotC site in July, he will probably give some details on what will be in it and what wouldn't be in it.

There might be something about Standard and Advanced D&D but it might be the subject of later L&L.

Warder

witch! witch!

Dausuul

Legend

Warder
Where do you buy your crystal balls? I want to upgrade and you obviously have access to top-of-the-line models.

Remove ads