• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The (new) Immortals Handbook Thread

Hey S'mon! :)

S'mon said:
Thrin got captured by Dispater in that anti-magic vault and ransomed back,

Thats the one I remembered...

Technically this was Ingrids fault...the only reason I fell for that trap was because it was the first day I met your (now) wife Ingrid. So it was like trying to keep conversations going and concentrate on the nuances of devil politicking all at once. A momentary lapse in concentration (probably when someone asked if I wanted milk and sugar with my earl grey) and I was caught in an anti-magic pit with bail set at 100 million gp.

S'mon said:
his corpse was also ransomed back by Vanya after she'd killed him in the Thyatian imperial palace.

Technically this one was Fergus fault...if he hadn't kept going on at me to conquer Thyatis (of which I knew nothing at the time) single handed, I never would have went in and started pimp slapping the locals..."I mean how hard can it be its just one goddess". Of course it turned out to be a Pantheon Head who also just happened to be a Goddess of War. Even after all that I still would have defeated her if it wasn't for those pesky kids (flukey 20th-leveler landed a crit on me just before Vanya shows up, and that 30 damage swayed the fight). Another 10 million gp up the swannay.

S'mon said:
I guess Hel agreeing to return Thrin's soul from Niflheim early in his career (after he'd been killed by Raistlin & failed his resurrection survival roll) doesn't really count.

Well technically that one was your fault...I had Raistlin on the ground, his arms were pinned (I made every roll you asked easily), how the hell could he still perform a rebributive strike with his staff. Not to mention when we eventually uncovered his full stats we found out that Staff of the Magus wasn't quite as powerful as a staff of the magi - in fact it could only cast something like light 2/day and had no retributive strike!!!

Thatwhole adventure was just bizarre. Our path gives us drow and archmages (pretty much all the bad guys from Dragonlance) up the wazoo. Mirv swans in joins up with all the dragonlance good guys then while they fight the Tarrasque, he backstabs it and wins the competition.

Bad memories all, I must have mind blanked them hence my initial forgetfulness. :p

S'mon

Legend
Raistlin - I guess he was Pinned But Not Helpless - very 3e. ;)

The description of Ret Strike doesn't require anything more than that you hold the staff - and Raist still had both hands on it.

Hey guys! :)

I'm very, very close to having this done (I know - how many times has he said that). :eek:

By the way Simon and I are toying around with some low level deity rules for his campaign. I am wondering if anyone would like to see some sort of alternate rules for low level deities in the Immortals Handbook?

By low level I mean sort of 25th-level demigods, 30th-level lesser gods, 40th-level greater gods with far fewer powers than something like Deities & Demigods (3rd Ed.) or the Immortals Handbook proper.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Upper_Krust said:
By the way Simon and I are toying around with some low level deity rules for his campaign. I am wondering if anyone would like to see some sort of alternate rules for low level deities in the Immortals Handbook?

By low level I mean sort of 25th-level demigods, 30th-level lesser gods, 40th-level greater gods with far fewer powers than something like Deities & Demigods (3rd Ed.) or the Immortals Handbook proper.

I'd love to see that, but don't work on it until you have the basic book finished.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
I'd be interested. That sounds like what I was toying with for my own game - where the line between ascension and real divine power is closer than mortals might imagine.

It might be underwhelming to see the divine powers that match up with those levels, though. Would we want to see a 25th level demigod whose CR was only 30ish, for instance? Or would the golden rule get bent fast as reasonable divine powers for something with 25 HD having a CR of 75+ ... ?

Hey guys! :)

CRGreathouse said:
I'd love to see that, but don't work on it until you have the basic book finished.

Its pretty much already done, I doubt it amounts to more than a page all told, it was fleshed out with a couple of emails I swapped with Simon over the past few days. The initial impetus was his 4th simony article on the website about converting deities but keeping a low 1st Edition feel.

Greybar said:
I'd be interested. That sounds like what I was toying with for my own game - where the line between ascension and real divine power is closer than mortals might imagine.

...sort of "On your doorstep deities".

Greybar said:
It might be underwhelming to see the divine powers that match up with those levels, though. Would we want to see a 25th level demigod whose CR was only 30ish, for instance? Or would the golden rule get bent fast as reasonable divine powers for something with 25 HD having a CR of 75+ ... ?

Well I haven't done an accurate assessment of divinity under these alternate rules yet, but I anticipate even what amounts to the Greater God template would be under CR +10.

Probably something like:

Hero: CR +1
Quasi: CR +2
Demi: CR +3
Lesser: CR +4
Inter: CR +6
Greater: CR +8

Thats just a wild guess on my part. Those are WotC CRs by the way. ;)

S'mon

Legend
CRGreathouse said:

It's me doing the work, Craig is just providing (valuable) input. :)

There's a taster at immortalshandbook.com, pt 4 of GMing for deities. In the article hp/4.5 to find 1e Hit Dice should prob be changed to hp/4 BTW, which is the IH official rule.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads