• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The (new) Immortals Handbook Thread

S'mon

Legend
The divine powers I'm using are the ones from 1e Manual of the Planes, I agree with Craig they're at most +8 CR, probably less.

Here's another taster - a draft of Odin, using my "Gods Like Men" (TM) system:
Odin the Greater God

Bbn-4/Wiz-18/Clr-18 Spell Caster Level: 36 Max Enchantment: +12
Base stats: ST 30 DE 30 CO 30 IN 30 WI 36 CH 30
+16 Enhancements (slotless): ST 46 DE 46 CO 46 IN 46 WI 52 CH 46
BAB +26/Grapple +44
Epic Feats: Epic SR x3 (+6), Epic DR x2 (6), Light Armour Mastery
Spell Resistance: 46 DR 15/+3 DR 6/- Speed: 40'
Hit Points: 984 Home Plane x2: 1968

SA: Greater God SA at 30th level, Telepathy 300 miles, shape change at will, Rage as BBn-40, can inspire Rage in allies within 30 yards (at their Character Level), Gaze paralyzes non-divine target at will (standard action, Will save DC 30 or paralysed 30 rounds),

Gungnir: +12 Ghost Touch Keen Returning Spear ATT +58/+53/+48/+43 (Gtr Wpn Focus) dam: 5d10+39 crit: 18-20/x2 (Imp Crit)
10 pt PA: ATT +48/5d10+59
25 pt PA: ATT +33/5d10+89

AC: 68 (Natural Armour +12, Chain Shirt +12, Helm of Deflection +12, +18 DEX).

Last edited:

Hey S'mon! :)

S'mon said:
It's me doing the work, Craig is just providing (valuable) input. :)

Somebody has to keep you right. :p

S'mon said:
There's a taster at immortalshandbook.com, pt 4 of GMing for deities. In the article hp/4.5 to find 1e Hit Dice should prob be changed to hp/4 BTW, which is the IH official rule.

I'll go and change that...

S'mon said:
The divine powers I'm using are the ones from 1e Manual of the Planes, I agree with Craig they're at most +8 CR, probably less.

When you factor in the wealth is about double PC as well, +8 is conservative.

S'mon said:
Here's another taster - a draft of Odin, using my "Gods Like Men" (TM) system:

(TM) LOL! :D

S'mon said:
Odin the Greater God

Bbn-4/Wiz-18/Clr-18 Spell Caster Level: 36 Max Enchantment: +12
Base stats: ST 30 DE 30 CO 30 IN 30 WI 36 CH 30
+16 Enhancements (slotless): ST 46 DE 46 CO 46 IN 46 WI 52 CH 46
BAB +26/Grapple +44
Epic Feats: Epic SR x3 (+6), Epic DR x3 (9)
Spell Resistance: 46 DR 15/+3 DR 9/- Speed: 40'
Hit Points: 984 Home Plane x2: 1968

SA: Greater God SA at 30th level, Telepathy 300 miles, shape change at will, Rage as BBn-40, can inspire Rage in allies within 30 yards (at their Character Level), Gaze paralyzes non-divine target at will (standard action, Will save DC 30 or paralysed 30 rounds),

Gungnir: +12 Ghost Touch Keen Returning Spear ATT +58/+53/+48/+43 (Gtr Wpn Focus) dam: 5d10+39 crit: 18-20/x2 (Imp Crit)
10 pt PA: ATT +48/5d10+59
25 pt PA: ATT +33/5d10+89

AC: 68 (Natural Armour +12, Chainmail +12, Helm of Deflection +12, +18 DEX).

I made the changes you forgot. :p

Incidently Odins spear is a +27 item (additional +12 mod. for is heightened damage).

S'mon

Legend
Upper_Krust said:
When you factor in the wealth is about double PC as well, +8 is conservative.

Incidently Odins spear is a +27 item (additional +12 mod. for is heightened damage).

I've edited the stats to incorporate Light Armour Mastery etc. Wealth - yeah, I agree. I didn't min-max Odin for melee (and after all, Fenrir swallows him & his horse in 1 bite!) but he's prob around CR 50 on WotC scale.

Hey S'mon! :)

S'mon said:
I've edited the stats to incorporate Light Armour Mastery etc. Wealth - yeah, I agree. I didn't min-max Odin for melee

If you want I could take a look at him and see what I can do? Pimp your Odin a bit.

For starters I always though he was doing 6d10 damage (same as Zeus), and there is that thing I talked to you about adding more weapon special abilities to Gungnir.

As far as I can see, in a fight Nu-Thrin is dropping Odin like a bag o' dirt. Although Thrin is a 100% combat monkey now.

I rustled up a proprietry Thor, and had him fight Thrin. He was just too damaging though. Damn his 10d10 damage I say. :mad:

S'mon said:
(and after all, Fenrir swallows him & his horse in 1 bite!)

Well I have read 'accounts' where he puts up a fight and then gets eaten.

S'mon said:
but he's prob around CR 50 on WotC scale.

More or less.

Hi Fieari mate! :)

Fieari said:
Did you actually get a chance to send the Bestiary Preview to the editors? Have you recieved word back yet?

I haven't finished it yet. Its just silly things at the moment that are holding me back, such as not being happy with certain paragraphs, some of the adventure ideas being a bit pedestrian for my tastes, a handful of abilities (such as the cometary dragons breath weapon) just don't work from my point of view. Its more 'tweaking' than work that needs done at this stage.

Incidently I'll have all the problems that have been dogging me at home sorted by tomorrow morning, so things should be going far faster from then on. Also I know all the mistakes I have made tackling this half of the bestiary and I won't make those a second time.

I suspect I'll be sending it to the editors on Friday. *crosses fingers...then goes and gets back to work.*

Nifelhein

First Post
Uk,

Since this is a preview you should not worry about changing it much, you can always do that later on, I thinkw e jsut can take some comments from you meant on what you are working to change on it and see how the whole is.

Don't get all over perfection, sometimes a mistake and a monster is better than no mistake and no monster.

Nifelhein said:

Hi Nifelhein matey! :)

Nifelhein said:
Since this is a preview you should not worry about changing it much, you can always do that later on, I think we just can take some comments from you meant on what you are working to change on it and see how the whole is.

Don't get all over perfection, sometimes a mistake and a monster is better than no mistake and no monster.

Well a couple of things. I am bit of a perfectionist I suppose, which means you wait longer but its better in the end.

Even with the preview I don't like the idea of turning in some slipshod (in my eyes) peice of work. I mean I have even had to restrain myself from continually wanting to add more and more elements to the document (I think there are about 2 dozen new artifacts and half a dozen each new epic spells, epic feats and new weapon special abilities in the preview alone).

There is a lot more in the Bestiary preview than you might think. The infinite size tables, how to use mass for determining weapon damage, an updated section on physical design parameters - specifically linked to size, a brief look at the dimensions; their rulers and inhabitants, revised rules for Abomination creation (up to Titanic size), sections on Angelic, Brood (aka Slaad), Daemonic, Demonic and Diabolic Hierarchies. A section on Dire Animals and how to stack those templates (with two unique mythological monster examples, and two non-unique). Epic and Adamic Dragons and a section on how to create dragons. Four of the golems have six variants (from Medium to Titanic size).

Also even though its technically only 86 pages, the font and margins used are the same size as the 3.5 core rulebooks. So its not like your typical third party stuff where they try and spread things out to up the page count, Even though each entry has its own page(s) they are all filled to the brim.

Fieari

Explorer
Looks like you've got a case of the 90/10 rule. First 90% of the job takes 90% of the time. Last 10% of the job takes the other 90% of the time.

Honestly though Krust, although we criticize software companies for doing this... release a buggy product now, patch it later. Make use of errata. We'll be forgiving for the preview. Heck, I -expect- bugs in a beta, and if I don't find bugs, I wonder why they call it a beta! I know you're a perfectionist... but just let a few mistakes go now. It can't possibly be as bad as you think. Allow Linus's Law to come into play.

Let it go to the editor. Keep working on it while it's at the editor's, but don't add your additions and modifications to the preview... make it available as errata or just include it in the full volume only. Otherwise obviously you can keep going forever. Eventually, something needs to be released.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads