D&D 4E The New Monster Math, Explained and Expanded

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
You're welcome, and glad you like my work! I'm curious whether your elite had Too Savvy for Tricks, and whether it came up in play?

Has anyone made an app, script, or quick-reference spreadsheet out of this yet? I can't do an app or script, but I'm always happy to crack open a quick spreadsheet.
Sorry for the late reply; [MENTION=560]Grandpa[/MENTION] has a script uploaded on post #48 .

The monster maker works really well, although I'd prefer a quick refresher on the roles as Marvelous Monsters would have them work (since they are a bit different from traditional.)
I've been meaning to do this; mostly it'll be just a copy-paste job from the DMG.

Terrance888

First Post
I used it twice. Once to get rid of -2 for the Crit Fail homerule (grants CA and -2 to attack and damage, AKA -2 to everything), which failed. Another time to get rid of -9 to all defenses by a Psion, which succeeded, and let him survive 2 hits, save it for real at the end of that turn, and survive another round. Overall: Good mechanic. I didn't use it much because everyone just pounded on him as soon as he stuck his nose out. :p

Just a question, it is roll to IGNORE, not to SAVE, right? Just making sure. :)

Thanks for reposting the script. I'm thinking I will use that to set up my monsters, and then use this site's monster maker to make it look presentable.

For the copy-paste job thing, I'm fine with that as long as it is in one place: MM opened to monster power to copy, PDF opened to the right page, and I'm set. There seems to be plenty of room, especially for the Artillery and Brute pages (combine?)

For the Leader, maybe you might consider some example "Leadership" go-to powers? The most common seem to be Aura X= +AC/Defenses/Hit/Bonus; Special Attack=Ally gets bonus, and some quick guidelines on how to balance bonuses? That would be helpful addition I can help set up.

Last edited:

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I used it twice. Once to get rid of -2 for the Crit Fail homerule (grants CA and -2 to attack and damage, AKA -2 to everything), which failed. Another time to get rid of -9 to all defenses by a Psion, which succeeded, and let him survive 2 hits, save it for real at the end of that turn, and survive another round. Overall: Good mechanic. I didn't use it much because everyone just pounded on him as soon as he stuck his nose out. :p
Awesome!

Just a question, it is roll to IGNORE, not to SAVE, right? Just making sure. :)
That's right.

For the Leader, maybe you might consider some example "Leadership" go-to powers? The most common seem to be Aura X= +AC/Defenses/Hit/Bonus; Special Attack=Ally gets bonus, and some quick guidelines on how to balance bonuses? That would be helpful addition I can help set up.
Yeah, I can always use more go-to powers. The "leader" tag that certain published monsters have isn't a full-blown role like I'm intending Leader to be, but I'm sure we can work it out. :)

I'm kind of amazed how popular this is! I guess more DMs home brew monsters than I imagined. :)

Also, I've got to get more familiar with exel one of these days.

Wow, I like yours much better. What program did you use?
I usually need to customize monsters in some way, since I like tailoring them to my party. If I need an Illithid at Level 9 and there isn't one.

I usually use the old monster builder and adjust monters to the new math, or something I feel reasonable at least.

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Awesome!

That's right.

Yeah, I can always use more go-to powers. The "leader" tag that certain published monsters have isn't a full-blown role like I'm intending Leader to be, but I'm sure we can work it out. :)

I would shy away from grind-increasy leaders that heal or revive, and lean towards Warlord-esque boosters, force multipliers, and focus-fire-encouragers. Makes the players groan in annoyance less, and fear death more.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I usually need to customize monsters in some way, since I like tailoring them to my party. If I need an Illithid at Level 9 and there isn't one.
I've actually been writing monster "lineages," so whether I need a level 3 jumping spider or a level 28 solo jumping spider, I can pull either one out of the appropriate pdf.

...But I'm a little compulsive. :)

I would shy away from grind-increasy leaders that heal or revive, and lean towards Warlord-esque boosters, force multipliers, and focus-fire-encouragers. Makes the players groan in annoyance less, and fear death more.
I was on the fence about enemy healers for a while, but when I started a discussion on the topic everyone seemed to agree that certain NPCs (clerics, etc.) demand a healing word-type power. Even so, I agree, they should be used very sparingly.

the Jester

Legend
I was on the fence about enemy healers for a while, but when I started a discussion on the topic everyone seemed to agree that certain NPCs (clerics, etc.) demand a healing word-type power. Even so, I agree, they should be used very sparingly.

I'd also recommend that they heal a smaller percentage of the target's hit points, or else a flat "Heal 25 hp" or something.

Especially if you're talking a solo monster, healing a surge's worth of hit points is pretty excessive IMHO.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I'd also recommend that they heal a smaller percentage of the target's hit points, or else a flat "Heal 25 hp" or something.

Especially if you're talking a solo monster, healing a surge's worth of hit points is pretty excessive IMHO.
That's basically what I did. Minion and goon healers restore 1 HP; other healers restore a number of HP equal to 1/4 of their own HP.

Remove ads