D&D 4E The New Monster Math, Explained and Expanded

riotshieldnation

First Post
I'm kind of amazed how popular this is! I guess more DMs home brew monsters than I imagined.

Also, I've got to get more familiar with exel one of these days.

TBH that little sheet took me the better part of a day (but I may or may not have been watching Futurama the whole time). Here's a little snippet from one cell:

=IF(B4="Typical",IF(B5="Artillery",INDEX(TypicalLow,B3,1),IF(B5="Brute",INDEX(TypicalHigh,B3,1),IF(B5="Lurker",INDEX(TypicalHigh,B3,1),INDEX(TypicalMedium,B3,1)))),IF(B4="Elite",IF(B5="Artillery",INDEX(EliteLow,B3,1),IF(B5="Brute",INDEX(EliteHigh,B3,1),IF(B5="Lurker",INDEX(EliteHigh,B3,1),INDEX(EliteMedium,B3,1)))),IF(B4="Solo",IF(B5="Artillery",INDEX(SoloLow,B3,1),IF(B5="Brute",INDEX(SoloHigh,B3,1),IF(B5="Lurker",INDEX(SoloHigh,B3,1),INDEX(SoloMedium,B3,1)))),IF(B4="Minion",IF(B5="Artillery",INDEX(MinionLow,B3,1),IF(B5="Brute",INDEX(MinionHigh,B3,1),IF(B5="Lurker",INDEX(MinionHigh,B3,1),INDEX(MinionMedium,B3,1)))),IF(B4="Goon",IF(B5="Artillery",INDEX(GoonLow,B3,1),IF(B5="Brute",INDEX(GoonHigh,B3,1),IF(B5="Lurker",INDEX(GoonHigh,B3,1),INDEX(GoonMedium,B3,1)))),0)))))
Anyway, do you plan on updating this further? IMO controllers should have some sort of AOE, but I don't think I'm versed enough in legitimate homebrew monsters to judge how powerful they should be. I usually just end up making things up on the spot to give my PCs some challenge (but hopefully now that will all change). If you do update it, I'll be right behind you with the excel.

And I don't think I said this before, so thanks for the guide.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
TBH that little sheet took me the better part of a day (but I may or may not have been watching Futurama the whole time). Here's a little snippet from one cell:
Wow!

How do I change a monster's caste? I typed in 'Standard' and the generator got confused.

Anyway, do you plan on updating this further? IMO controllers should have some sort of AOE, but I don't think I'm versed enough in legitimate homebrew monsters to judge how powerful they should be. I usually just end up making things up on the spot to give my PCs some challenge (but hopefully now that will all change). If you do update it, I'll be right behind you with the excel.

And I don't think I said this before, so thanks for the guide.
You're welcome!

I will update it -- in fact I recently boosted the minion damage threshold -- but I'm not going to get in-depth with power guidelines. I've gone down that road, and that way lies madness. :-S The best I can, and will do is to write example powers for each role.

For example if I were making an NPC wizard (controller), scorching burst would be a low-damage power otherwise identical to the PC power.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Hm, I don't see a drop-down menu. Might be just because I'm not real familiar with exel.

In other news, apparently I can't switch attachments in the OP so I attached my update to this one. (Raised minion damage threshold, added some example powers and copied Infiniti's formatting.)

Infiniti2000

First Post
Frak, why can't we edit attachments after posting?
You can. I've done it several times on the trollhaunt thread. There's a button down below called "Manage Attachments." First you need to remove the old one, then upload the new one. Yes, I realize that this isn't the easiest interface, but it can be done.

Ormazd

Explorer
I have a quick question about Elite and Solo monsters in the PDF*.

In the section on Elite and Solos you give the following suggestion for saves:
Magnificent Monsters said:
Extra Saves: Instead of save bonuses, elites and solos can roll extra saves at the beginning of their turn. An elite or solo can’t roll more than one of these saves against a given effect in one turn.

And then it goes on to grant two extra saves for elites and four for solos. My question is whether you intended to give saves at the beginning AND end of the creature's turn? Or just at the beginning? It seems like the word 'extra' suggests saves in addition to the normal 'end-of-turn' kind, but the last sentence in the quotation above is confusing me.

Thanks for any help,
O

* Which is, by the way, a great help. Thank you for the effort and for sharing.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
My intent is for elites and solos to get normal end-of-turn saves, plus two or four restricted start-of-turn saves. I can see how it's confusing, but I'm not sure how to neaten up the language.

Remove ads