• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond! Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on! UPDATE -- the book now has a description! https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-the-dragon-book-now-has-a-description.681399/ https://www.enworld.org/threads/my-guess-for-the-other-d-d-book-this-year-draconomicon.680687/ Fizban the Fabulous by Vera...

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
To start with some number crunching:

Total Page Count:

• Volo's Guide to Monsters: 224
  • Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes: 256
  • Fizban's Treasury of Dragons: 224

Lore Section Page Count and Subjects covered:

• VGtM: ~100 pages for 9 Monster kinds getting deep dives, ~11 pages per topic
  • MToF: ~114 pages covering 6 topics namely Devils & Hell, Demons & the Abyss, Elves & Drow, Dwarves & Duarger, Gith, and Gnomes/Halflings, ~19 pages per topic.
-FToD: about 100-120 pages for the 20 Dragons AND Dragonborn Lore seems somewhat tight, this could be larger than the other books.

Player Options Coverage:

• VGtM: 18 pages covering 7 full race wtiteups and a handful of "Monster races."
  • MToF: hard.to judge, as this is interspersed among the Lore chapters, but probably only a few pages sepwrfrom Lore.
  • FToD: about 20 pages, based on the UA material and and tables described by Wyatt seems generous (I take his "one third DM material, one third Plauer material, and one third monster material" as less than literal).

Bestiary Page Count and Stat Block Numbers:

• VGtM: ~106 pages, nearly 100 monster stats blocks.
  • MToF: ~142 pages, nearly 140 Monster stat blocks
  • FToD: this could vary considerably, but it does seem plausible that this may have a somewhat smaller Bestiary than Volo's did, depending on how large the Lore Section and Character material ends up going. If we suppose 84 pages or so, we might be looking at 80 Monsters approximately. Could go higher, could go lower.
A thing to consider though is that while 80 monsters in a bestiary might seem smaller in comparison to other books we have received, we are talking about 80 monster of a very specific theme instead of various creature types. Even if say half of the supposed 80 monsters aren't specifically of the dragon creature type (like the Kobolds, Dragonborns, that Hoard mimic and others), that's still 40 dragons which I'm assuming (but could be wrong) excludes the 20 deep dive monster stat blocks of Metallic, Chromatic, Gem, and the other 5 mystery dragons.

To start with some number crunching:

Total Page Count:

• Volo's Guide to Monsters: 224
  • Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes: 256
  • Fizban's Treasury of Dragons: 224

Lore Section Page Count and Subjects covered:

• VGtM: ~100 pages for 9 Monster kinds getting deep dives, ~11 pages per topic
  • MToF: ~114 pages covering 6 topics namely Devils & Hell, Demons & the Abyss, Elves & Drow, Dwarves & Duarger, Gith, and Gnomes/Halflings, ~19 pages per topic.
-FToD: about 100-120 pages for the 20 Dragons AND Dragonborn Lore seems somewhat tight, this could be larger than the other books.

Player Options Coverage:

• VGtM: 18 pages covering 7 full race wtiteups and a handful of "Monster races."
  • MToF: hard.to judge, as this is interspersed among the Lore chapters, but probably only a few pages sepwrfrom Lore.
  • FToD: about 20 pages, based on the UA material and and tables described by Wyatt seems generous (I take his "one third DM material, one third Plauer material, and one third monster material" as less than literal).

Bestiary Page Count and Stat Block Numbers:

• VGtM: ~106 pages, nearly 100 monster stats blocks.
  • MToF: ~142 pages, nearly 140 Monster stat blocks
  • FToD: this could vary considerably, but it does seem plausible that this may have a somewhat smaller Bestiary than Volo's did, depending on how large the Lore Section and Character material ends up going. If we suppose 84 pages or so, we might be looking at 80 Monsters approximately. Could go higher, could go lower.
I'm beginning to wonder if "great wyrm" is going to be a template added to ancient dragons. Otherwise, creating individual stat blocks for each type of great wyrm is going to take up some serious room!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I refuse to use self-checkout at grocery stores as well.

I'm not wasting my time. And I'm not increasing their overhead. I'm not letting them decrease it at my expense by not doing their job.

Maybe you have infinite time...

Mod Note:
Folks, at this point, you are wasting everyone's time with a digression about grocery stores and economics in a thread about a D&D book on dragons.

How about everyone drop this line of discussion, and bring it back around on topic, please and thanks.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A thing to consider though is that while 80 monsters in a bestiary might seem smaller in comparison to other books we have received, we are talking about 80 monster of a very specific theme instead of various creature types. Even if say half of the supposed 80 monsters aren't specifically of the dragon creature type (like the Kobolds, Dragonborns, that Hoard mimic and others), that's still 40 dragons which I'm assuming (but could be wrong) excludes the 20 deep dive monster stat blocks of Metallic, Chromatic, Gem, and the other 5 mystery dragons.
In Volo's and Mordenkainen's, the state blocks for the Monsters in the Lore section were in the Nestisry. Still, I think there will be Draconiconsters well beyond the 20 major coverages.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm beginning to wonder if "great wyrm" is going to be a template added to ancient dragons. Otherwise, creating individual stat blocks for each type of great wyrm is going to take up some serious room!
I think they will need unique star blocks: for the traditional Metallic and Chromatic Dragons, I reckon the Great Wyrms will be all the stat blocks we get ("see the Dragon entry in the Monster Manual"). Still leaves plenty of.room in the Bestiary.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I think they will need unique star blocks: for the traditional Metallic and Chromatic Dragons, I reckon the Great Wyrms will be all the stat blocks we get ("see the Dragon entry in the Monster Manual"). Still leaves plenty of.room in the Bestiary.
Plus, I don't think 5E does templates, does it?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
It does! There are several in the MM (Half-Dragon and the Shadow Dragon, for wxample), and the DMG provides templates for all Humanoid Races to easily apply to NPC stat blocks.
Huh, I guess I have never had need of the Half Dragon or Shadow Dragon. I wasn't really considering the chart on humanoids in the DMG templates, but I guess they qualify. I admit that I really liked templates in 3.x and with modern digital tools it would be super easy to be able to apply them now.

Remove ads

Remove ads