D&D 5E The October D&D Book is Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons

As revealed by Nerd Immersion by deciphering computer code from D&D Beyond!

Fizban the Fabulous is, of course, the accident-prone, befuddled alter-ego of Dragonlance’s god of good dragons, Paladine, the platinum dragon (Dragonlance’s version of Bahamut).

Which makes my guess earlier this year spot on!

UPDATE -- the book now has a description!

2E56D87C-A6D8-4079-A3B5-132567350A63.png

EEA82AF0-58EA-457E-B1CA-9CD5DCDF4035.jpeg

Fizban the Fabulous by Vera Gentinetta

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Tiamat takes herself far too seriously to ever pretend to be a kooky wizard.
So Bahamut's "avatar" showed up in human form in one campaign to warn the group. Standard appearance, elderly man, canaries.

Two miles later, a beautiful woman, much like the pic below but wearing a red gown with multicolored trim designed to inspire envy of her looks was reclined under a tree.

So I agree, she would not go the kooky wizard route.

Tiamat_human.jpg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Given the lawsuit over the new DL books being written by them, don't we know that they are/will be involved already? Maybe not more than with fiction, but that will go a long way for the super-fans.
The details given in the lawsuit suggest that Weis/Hickman's view of the franchise and WotC's vision of it are (or were) dramatically out of step with one another.

Superchunk77

Adventurer
Using "Fizban" is a surprise

Volo, Xanathar, Mordenkainen and Tasha all appeared in products after being in a title
Does all but confirm Dragonlance for 2022

The question now is Dark Sun or Planescape as the third classic setting

Not likely if they are using the campaign setting survey results. Both Dark Sun and Planescape scored substantially higher than Dragonlance. I'm still anticipating Dark Sun and some kind of Planescape/Spelljammer crossover setting next year.

With D&D's fanbase skewing younger, the people like me that have that nostalgia for original Dragonlance are increasingly a smaller percentage. If I talk to someone not even ten years younger than I am, it's more likely that they're either going to have no idea what I'm talking about or say something like "those books? I tried reading them but put the first one down halfway through it." The people that even remember what Dragonlance was like originally is a smaller number than the number of potential new fans.

That being said, any return of Dragonlance has to feel authentic. The new Ravenloft works because it still has the right feel, while modernizing and improving the setting.

At its peak, Dragonlance had much more of a footprint than Ravenloft ever did, not only among D&D players but also in the fantasy fandom generally. (The books were New York Times bestsellers back in the day.) While long-running Ravenloft fans might indeed be a "small minority" that can be safely ignored, I suspect there are more long-running Dragonlance fans, plus a larger number of casual "I read those books as a kid!" fans who'd have nostalgic interest in a revived setting. A sweeping Dragonlance reboot is therefore likely to not only annoy at least some of the former group, but also turn off parts of the latter group (when they go looking for all the familiar touchstones and can't find them).

Is that a risk Wizards is willing to take? Maybe. It probably depends on their perception (accurate or not) of how Ravenloft was received. If "sweeping reboot with some references sprinkled in" seemed to be a win, they'll happily reboot Dragonlance (and Planescape and Dark Sun and so on) and aim squarely at their new fans, confident that older fans are indeed irrelevant or can at least be pacified with Easter eggs. If they think the 2014-2020 approach worked better (limited retcons and broad compatibility with older lore), then they'll do something truer to the older material. Guess we'll see.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
With D&D's fanbase skewing younger, the people like me that have that nostalgia for original Dragonlance are increasingly a smaller percentage. If I talk to someone not even ten years younger than I am, it's more likely that they're either going to have no idea what I'm talking about or say something like "those books? I tried reading them but put the first one down halfway through it." The people that even remember what Dragonlance was like originally is a smaller number than the number of potential new fans.

That being said, any return of Dragonlance has to feel authentic. The new Ravenloft works because it still has the right feel, while modernizing and improving the setting.
Yeah, I'm not sure "this was a big selling novel 40 years ago" is a compelling argument.

No one's saying we need to make movies of James Michener's "The Covenant," James Clavell's "Noble House" or Jonathan Irving's "Hotel New Hampshire" in the 21st century, despite each being NYT best sellers the same time period ago.

At a certain point, even an omnipresent cultural icon is no longer relevant. It's hard to overstate how dominant Michener, Clavell and Irving were, once upon a time. Millennials and Generation Z would find them unreasonably hard trivia answers nowadays, and even many Generation X folks would struggle with them.

The more I think about it, the more I think Fizban's including a bunch of settings, with maybe 20 pages on Krynn might be the way to go. Republish the setting in 5E in that sense, see if demand increases -- meaning it's not the same people who were asking for it two years ago -- and make decisions after that.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Right! So much more creative than WotC......
Wolfgang Baur was a huge part of WotC for years. I think Kobold Press seems "more creative" than WotC because they don't have a large percentage of their fans demanding that they reprint everything they've ever done. Trying to please -- or at least quiet down -- that audience takes up a lot of WotC's design space.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases