The official EN World puppy/doggo thread

Sacrosanct

Legend
Sometimes mutts do get a designation title (not exactly breed) like the domestic short hair cat.

Handsome boy you got there.

In his case, apparently central american village dogs actually pre-date most dog breeds. I.e., his breed was used with other breeds to from modern breeds. Which is a very good thing, because he came back at risk for 0 of the 162 screen at risk health issues, and is not at risk at many things other dog breeds are (like hip problems, breathing problems, etc)

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
In his case, apparently central american village dogs actually pre-date most dog breeds. I.e., his breed was used with other breeds to from modern breeds. Which is a very good thing, because he came back at risk for 0 of the 162 screen at risk health issues, and is not at risk at many things other dog breeds are (like hip problems, breathing problems, etc)

That's fantastic!

Selective breeding sure has a lot of drawbacks.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In his case, apparently central american village dogs actually pre-date most dog breeds. I.e., his breed was used with other breeds to from modern breeds.

Not quite.

"Village dogs" exist in Asia and Africa as well. These aren't just mixed-breeds from lost or escaped domestic dogs, but a sort of breed of their own, with some domestic admixture, but mostly a sort of half-step between the local canine (generally wolf) populations in their areas and modern domestic dogs. The various village dog breeds are roughly as distinct as the various wolf populations are.

To say that the Central American variety of these village dogs was used with other breeds to form modern breeds is likely inaccurate. Most of the modern domestic breeds we see today have origins in Europe and Asia, not interbred with Central or South American animals, whose breeds likely diverged from the Asian and African roots back around the time of human migration to the Americas, 10K+ years ago.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
37Sxjdz.jpg

War Pugs gathered in their masses!
Just like witches at Black Masses
Furry minds that plot distraction,
Sorcerer of “awwww” construction
In the fields the bodies burning,
As the pug machine keeps turning
Memes and cuteness to mankind,
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh Lord yeah

giphy.gif

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
J. Merle, our older dog, has been doing what we call “The Sofa Dance” almost nightly on one or both of our sofas (and occasionally, the futon) for almost her whole life. She’s a tad camera shy, but I have managed to catch it on occasion.

Here’s one instance (I wish to point out that there are no goodies hidden in the cushions.):

And another:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases