The Orville Season Two - Thoughts?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Finally had a chance to watch the most recent episode. I think this is my favorite from both seasons. I love getting away for big stakes and coming down to the more personal stories. I loved how the advance technology was a plot device that emphasized shared humanness across the centuries.

Often, when I read ancient writings, it is the little details and personal stories that hit me the strongest, because they create a shared sense of humanity that helps me relate to someone from a very different culture in a very different time and it help immerse me the larger work.

This last episode really helped put another hook in me and draw me deeper into the Orville's world.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
(Our PBS is doing their fundraising right now, and it’s britcom night. Which reminded me of Fawlty Towers, Detectorists, and Ripping Yarns.

I think we need to send American writers across the pond to get some tips.)

The humanizing aspect of this show is one of the things I think the humornis a key component to- even the crass stuff. I mean, the crew of the Orville sounds and acts like people in any given workspace.

That’s one thing they doing better than the original. For all the talented acting and solid scriptwriting across the decades of the Trek franchise, there are times when those shows looked & sounded like plays, too artificial to be real. Now, due to Standards & Practices and the show’s channel and time slot, we’re not going to hear quite the same vocabulary real people would use in some of those circumstances.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Let's start a new thread for those obscure UK shows, eh?
monty-python-youre-no-fun-anymore.gif

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Back on topic, this episode was great. For once, the melancholy ending felt earned.

Agreed!

So, they had a doomed romance plot, with my wife's favorite character, and they used a song from The last Unicorn, which is perhaps her most favorite movie...

It was like Seth McFarlane cleverly designed an episode specifically to make my wife cry.

Remove ads