The Orville Season Two - Thoughts?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
At least it’s a stronger password than the self destruct code on the Enterprise.

000 Destruct 0

[video=youtube_share;Wk0f43GOtSk]https://youtu.be/Wk0f43GOtSk[/video]

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Warburton's character was the only low point for me. Alara and her sister looked so elven to me.

Would you please tell that to my DM? I've been trying to get him to let me play elves with that kind of strength bonus, but he's not going for it. :D

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I prefer it when they lay off the jokes and just pretend to be Star Trek. When it gets into the fart jokes and the like it takes me out of it.

For me that's the biggest reason I'm enjoying the show. The show seems to me t be a light parody of Star Trek mixed with some serious themes and issues. There are enough serious sci-fi shows out there that the jokes and humor put the Orville into a new and refreshing category for me.

CapnZapp

Legend
I don’t have a problem with the dummy codes. I have a problem with him admitting they were dummies when asked.
It was still better than pretending the Fleet only has one set of codes - the real ones. (Like TOS or TNG. So yay for progress!)

To be anywhere near realistic, he would not need to explain that there are at least one set of codes that appear real in every way, except they also alert the fleet of the situation, and are overridable by any officer of adequate authority.

Because any species that can build a spaceship, let alone an interstellar warpship, will have grasped the basics of cryptography.

Ryujin

Legend
For me that's the biggest reason I'm enjoying the show. The show seems to me t be a light parody of Star Trek mixed with some serious themes and issues. There are enough serious sci-fi shows out there that the jokes and humor put the Orville into a new and refreshing category for me.

Yup, I've said that before too. Everything is dark and brooding now; even Star Trek. We need some hopeful SciFi.

CapnZapp

Legend
As a species, yes. Not necessarily at the individual level. Even in high-ranking positions that SHOULD.
??

Officers don't need to know jack squat about this. They only need to follow procedure. I didn't say every officer would or should be a cryptography expert.

I am saying it is trivial to instruct your officers to learn a version of your code that is indistinguishable as such while also triggering an alarm.

At least for really important stuff. One ship (that isn't even a capital ship) is not that important.

So yes, if someone was trying to commandeer an individual ship like the Orville, that would be plausible.

But infiltrating the whole fleet network (or whatever the Krill were up to)? Nah, you don't do that by demanding "the codes" of just any captain that falls into your hands. (Capt Mercer was clearly not randomly selected, but there are zero indications he's special in any way)

The notion of fake codes was, as I said, credible - in comparison to how clumsily/naively TOS or TNG would have handled it. But that is also it for credibility.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sorry I was unclear. I wasn’t referring to our Captain in particular.

All I meant was I have personally known people in positions of authority who SHOULD know about X, Y, and Z, but nonetheless remain ignorant. People who make multimillion dollar and/or life or death decisions, yet who are clueless as to the functions of the people and systems they supervise. And worse, some do not even take steps to educate themselves thereon.

Remove ads