Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Knight class name / Paladin, Warden, Blackguard sub-classes

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 13 19.4%

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
In the latest L&L column and the podcast this morning, Mike et. al. were talking about the Paladin, and how they've created three versions based upon the knightly oaths they take. As it stands now, the white knight good paladin is called the Cavalier, the nature-focused green knight is called the Warden, and the evil black knight is called the Blackguard. Thus, all three are reincorporating names we've seen used before.

However, a couple times I've seen mentioned by folks here on the board has been that they'd rather see the name Paladin used as the white knight, rather Cavalier. The Cavalier class name evokes too much of the mounted knight aspect, and not so much the "knight in shining armor" that the name Paladin traditionally evokes.

But this brings up an interesting question about how you could name these things. It seems as though since they keep identifying the three different oath-users as the "white knight", "green knight" and "black knight"... and that some folks would prefer the name Paladin to apply just to the "white knight" oath-user (rather than Cavalier)... I wonder how people would prefer the naming convention be? It almost seems like rather than calling the group of these three oath-users "Paladins"... you'd almost be better served calling the group Knights. Then within the Knight class, you have your white knight Paladin, green knight Warden, and black knight Blackguard. Or maybe it doesn't really matter to anyone that much? I dunno. But I'd be curious what most people's feelings on their prefered naming convention would be?

Last edited:

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Someone mentioned somewhere, probably more than one person, that a good catch-all name for the class is Champion, and I think that puts across the appropriate vibe of being a chosen/special representative of whatever you're sworn to protect/destroy.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Someone mentioned somewhere, probably more than one person, that a good catch-all name for the class is Champion, and I think that puts across the appropriate vibe of being a chosen/special representative of whatever you're sworn to protect/destroy.
Took the words out of my mouth. I think Knights shouldn't be divine or magical, but Champion sounds both grounded and mythic/supernatural, is alignment-neutral, and sounds like something I'd want to play.

I wouldn't be opposed to the subnames; i.e. a good champion is a paladin and an evil one is a blackguard or somesuch.

Lackhand

First Post
Special snowflake:

"Champion" as the container. I'd be okay with Knight, but I think Fighters make pretty good knights, and don't want to lose that.

Paladin as the LG version, Warden as the nature version, Blackguard as the evil version.

"Cavalier" as the CG version, in the sense of high spirited and not giving proper weight to "something important" (read: "the law").

calprinicus

First Post
I would also hope that champion becomes the container for the three sub classes.

however in the end I could care less what they are called.

delericho

Legend
But this brings up an interesting question about how you could name these things. It seems as though since they keep identifying the three different oath-users as the "white knight", "green knight" and "black knight"...

It seems to me there's an obvious answer they're missing somewhere in there...

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
voted knight as supwerclass name, actually meant champion. There is room for the avenger too if that is the case just add some "you don't get proficiency with armor, instead you add your wisdom (+ a bonus) to your AC" It feels less artificial and more thematically appropriate than the "sorcerer eats favored soul" which was meant more on mechanical grounds than anything else.

Stormonu

Legend
Yeah, I think champion is a better name overall.

I'd like to save chevalier/cavalier for a background or specialty - or a knight subclass if they ever decide to do a full-on knight class.

Remove ads