• Paladin class name / Paladin, Warden, Blackguard sub-classes

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Knight class name / Paladin, Warden, Blackguard sub-classes

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 13 19.4%

gyor

Legend
The Oath thing sounds like the Avenger, I wonder if it will ultimately end up as a future build for the Paladin, perhaps an avenging knight.

I still hope that alignment restrictions are optional, otherwise the Blackguard will be useless to organize play.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
I voted for Knight as the superclass name, but I also prefer Champion.

A Cavalier / Paladin / Knight champion of justice sounds awesome. Spend all your character customization options to really get the full she-bang of "Knight in Shining Armor". But in games where horses are few and far between, or you just don't plan on using your horse much, I think Cavalier could be skipped. (though the subclasses should still have a supernatural method of summoning their mounts, it's just that the cavalier specialty would confer additional combat maneuvers / bonuses or skills while ahorse).

I also wanted to say, it appears as though, from Mearls' podcast, that many of the better suggestions from this forum, such as Ws instead of MDDs, have made it into the game. Keep it up! We'll have a workable set of rules soon at this rate, ones that strike a good balance of useability and common sense while avoiding pitfalls in other editions. I read some of the comments on the Wotc site and there are quite a few people there who say that e.g. daggers should do the same damage as a greatsword. Ugh, I'm glad they're not designing this game and their "gear is mere fluff" mentality has not polluted DDN. In fact, I think Enworld's comments and debates about these things has led to a great many improvements that I directly see applied to what they've mentioned in the playtests, if not exactly, then at least addressing our concerns in new and creative ways. E.g. how to make rangers distinct from a fighter + specialty + background.

I have similar hope as a result that they'll adjust the Paladin superclass name to Champion (or Knight would work too, though I think that would be better as a paragon path / prestige class). To be a knight, you first have to be a squire, right? Earn your title, don't start at level 1 with it. Knight sounds more like a veteran paladin or fighter prestige class to me, and not something you could simply chose to be from the start. Prove your valour!!

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

I really don't care, but I think more people will connect with the catch-all of "Paladin" than "Knight".

But I like the breakdown of Cavalier, Warden, Blackguard.

Libramarian

Adventurer
I voted paladin/paladin, warden, blackguard, but I don't think we actually need a name for the category.

In other words, I don't so much want:
Paladin - Paladin
Paladin - Warden
Paladin - Blackguard

as:
Paladin
Paladin - Warden
Paladin - Blackguard

The Paladin is THE class, but here are some variants for people who want to take the broader concept in a different direction. This lets you use the iconic D&D word (Paladin) for both the class and the G/LG variant, at the cost of a slightly less intuitive organization. Worth it, imo.

I voted "Knight", but now that I read the Paladin description in the playtest packet I'm OK with the WotC execution. Paladin is the class; it's "Oath of the ____" that is the class feature.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I vote "Prismatic Knight". Then you've got white, black, and green, and the other six alignment mixes can be the other (besides green) D&D prismatic spray colors. I'm sure we can easily match the purple, blue, red, etc. to an appropriate alignment.

Then "Paladin" can be reserved for any prismatic knight that is special snowflake enough to deserve the label. :cool:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I vote lemon curry. If I had it my way they would split the classes off so more thematic abilities and spells could be assigned to the blackguard and warden. Especially the warden. Wardens in full plate seem weird to me as do blackguards that inspire bravery in their comrades.

Remove ads