The Pinnacle of your Collection

FickleGM

Explorer
Being fickle, the pinnacle of my collection often changes. Currently...well, speaking of Pinnacle...it's the Savage Worlds boxed set that I got at GenCon earlier this month. :)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works, which is hard to find a selling price right now as none are for sale I can find. But it appears to be in the mid to upper hundreds.

Also the 6 Dangerous Journeys books Gary & Dave Newton signed back when they came out.

I have plenty of other old books semi-rare like the Cthulhu D&DG. But the above are my sentimental favorites.

Those are more rare than many of the items in this thread. They seem to go for a couple hundred dollars. ;)

The Dragon Archive CD? Really? Didn't TSR make a few gazillion of those? I have one I bought at Gencon the year it was released, and they didn't seem to be all that scarce. You can never tell...

back in my gaming days, I bought practically everything that TSR released over several years, and I ended up with a variety of oddball stuff. Sadly, over the years when I wasn't gaming anymore, I ended losing most of my collection (lost, damaged, tossed out because it was too much hassle to move to another town). Looking through what's left, I still have a few oddities like "Swords and Spells" (the mass combat game for OD&D, I think), some of those random map and encounters that TSR put out in the 80s, and some of those "The Art of XXX" books. I picked up the three "What's New?" collection books somewhere along the way, although, sadly, I seem to have lost the "Fineous Fingers" collection somehow :.-( Although I've lost most of them, I still have the first 36 issues of Dungeon, and some early issues of Dragon. For non-TSR stuff, I have "The First Fantasy Campaign" by Dave Arneson, and "Heroic Expeditions" by Judges Guild (why the hell did I ever buy that....)

grodog

Hero
My set of Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works is probably the most prized element of my collection.

An excellent choice, Merric :D

(That said, I bought an unpunched set of Greyhawk Wars yesterday. Well, it's no longer unpunched, because I want to play the game, but astonishing to find a copy 19 years on!)

Nice find!

The Dragon Archive CD? Really? Didn't TSR make a few gazillion of those? I have one I bought at Gencon the year it was released, and they didn't seem to be all that scarce. You can never tell...

I don't think it's very scarce either, and it was on discount at ~$30 (1/2 or more off MSRP IIRC) a year or so after its initial release. That said, it can still certainly be the pinnacle of someone's collection, and is perhaps the single best resource ever published for pre-3e D&D.

sadly, I seem to have lost the "Fineous Fingers" collection somehow :.-(

I've heard that some folks are talking to JD about issuing a definitive collection of Finieous Fingers together, including the strips from Dragon, Adventure Gaming, Shadis, etc.: that is definitely something I would buy.

The Shaman

First Post
I've been very curious about the Keith brothers' lost supplements for Traveller and their general catalog of materials ever since Tadashi Ehara introduced me to their work from Gamelords.
The "lost supplements" are similar to their Gamelords work, frex, Starport Planetfall is the inside-the-extrality-line companion to Startown Liberty. They're uneven, as you would expect incompletely edited work to be, but it's fun to see the thought process in what are essentially drafts.
On and off, I've been talking to Bob Charrette about reprinting The Lost Abbey of Calthonwey....
That's an adventure which needs to reach a larger audience.

carmachu

Explorer
Toss up between 2 copies of Ptolus, one signed and numbered, the other not, and the Cthululu FF from first edition and Blackmoor, the first campaign setting in its orginal form.

Last edited:

grodog

Hero
While channeling Indiana Jones in comments in my post above , Dragonblade and The Shaman said:

Dragonblade: Seriously those should be sealed in glass and exhibited at the Smithsonian!

The Shaman: I agree with Dragonblade.

Wouldn't you rather they be sitting behind your screen on game night?

Its not signed, its not old, and its really not that rare, but it is cvomplete and I have used and am using all of it, and I am obsessed with it. It is Dark Sun in all its glory:
dscollction082110.jpg

Imperialus

Explorer
Probably my either my first edition hardcover Shadowrun BBB. That or my Japanese translation of the same. Shadowrun in Japanese just seems so... 'appropriate'

Remove ads