D&D 5E The Planetouched Lineages (Tieflings/Aasimar/Genasi/Axani/Cansin/Liminaire)

It's buried in the text at the start, so I'll repeat it again:

"And lastly it's the other types of Planetouched which needs some sorting out as there's 3 different Lawful varieties such as: Zenythri (3e MMII), Mechanatrix (3e FF) and Axani (Dragon #297) and 2 different Chaotic varieties: Chaonds (3e MMII) and Cansin (Dragon #297), not to mention Gloamings, Shyfts and whatever else.

Note that things like Tannaruk and Fey'ri and whatever else are just Tieflings or whatever for these purposes, I won't be putting any special effort around those. A Fey'ri in this is just a Tiefling with some Elvish qualities."

As for the Lawful Planetouched and Chaotic Planetouched, I'm definitely leaning on the ones from Dragon #297: Axani and Cansin as the umbrella terms of those Planetouched varieties.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
This should be an interesting thread because I'm currently doing something similar with reworking the races and turning things like the planetouched into something that you can instead spend an ASI in character creation to gain. For instance, an Azer dwarf would be a dwarf that gains +2 Constitution and instead of an ASI (as the class feature) spent on boosting stats or gaining a feat would instead pick up the fire genasi traits of fire resistance, produce flame, and burning hands. This would be in addition to the dwarf subrace so you might be a hill dwarf with azer blood. My changes are likely to create a higher level of power for starting characters than standard DnD.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I did something similar, only I give everyone a starting feat and you can spend that starting feat on a 'Template' such as Werewolf, half dragon, plane touched, etc. I actually rolled tieflings into elemental plane touched because I have no outsiders, so they are the product of Mad Science instead.

I'm going to be watching this approach with interest.

Voadam

Legend
It's buried in the text at the start, so I'll repeat it again:

"And lastly it's the other types of Planetouched which needs some sorting out as there's 3 different Lawful varieties such as: Zenythri (3e MMII), Mechanatrix (3e FF) and Axani (Dragon #297) and 2 different Chaotic varieties: Chaonds (3e MMII) and Cansin (Dragon #297), not to mention Gloamings, Shyfts and whatever else.

Note that things like Tannaruk and Fey'ri and whatever else are just Tieflings or whatever for these purposes, I won't be putting any special effort around those. A Fey'ri in this is just a Tiefling with some Elvish qualities."

As for the Lawful Planetouched and Chaotic Planetouched, I'm definitely leaning on the ones from Dragon #297: Axani and Cansin as the umbrella terms of those Planetouched varieties.
Oops, I missed that. :)

I had used Zenythri when I fleshed out the planar city of Rigus when running Lord of the Iron Fortress so I knew they were in 3e somewhere and went looking for them and other planetouched. Their fluff works well for cosmic law and that attached to axiomatic creatures and I had really liked it in context.

From a flavor stand point on the tieflings that is understandable but also misses out a bit as the flavor and mechanics distinctions can be neat. Fey'ri for example seem more like true breeding half demon elves with their universal wings and multiple different powers as opposed to just planetouched tiefling elves.

From a flavor stand point on the tieflings that is understandable but also misses out a bit as the flavor and mechanics distinctions can be neat. Fey'ri for example seem more like true breeding half demon elves with their universal wings and multiple different powers as opposed to just planetouched tiefling elves.
Other than there being too many different specific varieties to keep track of, most of them are of a power level beyond anything 5e has for PC races. There's no working thing for "Savage Species" monster levels in 5e yet (and that book had it's problems).

Added to main post, my first draft of the Tiefling writeup.

What I've done is rewrote the Tome of Foes subraces as separate legacies and added a few others. I've also added 4 alternate abilties, for flight, natural armour, natural attacks and perhensile tail. Though the last one might need some more work.

Tieflings
Tieflings get their lineage from the Lower Planes which may include the influence of various fiendish creatures like Devils, Demons, Yugoloths, Gehreleths/Demodands, Night Hags, Hordelings, Bladelings and others or the malignant influence of such planes. Because of the fiendish nature of their lineage, Tieflings are often mistrusted by many who fear Tieflings carry a malignant influence. When invoking their fiendish powers some of that malignant influence might come to the forefront, as the fiend rattles it's metaphorical chains. In the struggle of their dual-natures, most Tieflings learned long ago to control the fiend inside them.

As a result many Tieflings are loners and often pushed to the fringes of society, due to the prejudices of many mortals. As a result many Tieflings have become self-reliant and independent, having to do their best to push their way through by society by sheer force of will. The fiendish nature of Tieflings does not inherently exert a predilection to malevolence, however how Tieflings are treated by the society they're raised in often does. Often Tieflings do band together as clans, extended families or gangs, and are often mistrusting of others, including other Tieflings.

In planar cities Tieflings are common sight, in many cases gathering together in often the poorer and less hospitable districts. Many Tieflings as outsiders often won't find a place among common society, often becoming thieves, gang members, harlots and con artists. Some Tieflings are driven even further outside into to joining cults or becoming adventurers. Many Tieflings do live their lives in poverty because of their place in society, though some Tieflings have made their place in society filled with wealth and privilege. It's often whispered in hushed tones that those Tieflings in wealth and power got their fortunes through nefarious means.

Outside of most planar societies, there's rumours of Tieflings enjoying a higher standing in some nations that are ruled by fiendish forces. These Tieflings often embrace their more malevolent natures as a result. There's said to be an empire on the Material Plane who's corrupt once Human rulers made a pact to the Lord of Nine Asmodeus, who cursed the entire nation turning everybody into a Tiefling.

Thanks to their natures some Tieflings can survive on consuming ashes or minerals for sustenance temporarily. Tieflings are more likely to eat meat, some preferring raw meat, and many do eat insects (some Humans do too).

Tieflings often have features like horns of varying sizes, tails, sharp teeth or cloven feet. Many Tieflings don't have any such features appearing mostly as Humans or other mortal races, and only containing a hint of a fiendish nature such as an ominous shadow, a slight scent of sulphur or a terrifying reflection in the mirror.

Characters
Ability scores & classes:
Many Tieflings tend to be schemers and adept at larceny and swindling, thus many do put their ability bonuses in Charisma, Intelligence or Dexterity. Some Tiefling legacies embrace rage and other feral natures.

Rogues are a common class for Tieflings, as many of them do come from criminal backgrounds and it's something that easy for a Tiefling to embrace. Because of the nature of their soul and status as outsiders, many Tieflings confront their dual natures creatively through music and poetry becoming Bards. The power of the arcane comes naturally to Tieflings as many do become Wizards applying their understanding of their natures to the studies of magic. Many do embrace and seek to understand their Fiendish natures by becoming Warlocks with the Fiend Patron, but many Tiefling Warlocks seek other types of patrons to shield themselves from Fiendish influences.

Age: Most Tieflings age at the same rate as Humans or their mortal ancestry does. Some Tieflings might be long-lived or ageless.

Size: Most Tieflings are medium size. Some Tieflings are small size.

Speed: Tieflings have a walking speed of 30 feet

Type: Tieflings are Humanoid (I pondered for a moment the Humanoid and Fiend creature type, but it's more of a disadvantage to be both)

Languages: Tieflings understand Common and one other language, often one of their mortal ancestries or Abyssal or Infernal.

Darkvision: Tieflings have Darkvision of 60 feet

Fiendish Legacy: While there some common varieties, the powers of a Tiefling can be varied as the appearances of Tieflings. The manifestation of powers in a Tieflings legacy awakens a bit of a Tiefling's nature, internally it can be as much as a dark whisper they can hear in their mind. For some Tieflings they momentarily appear more fiendish when invoking such powers. Many Tieflings describe using their legacies as Invoking the Fiend. According to some certain legacies can colour a Tiefling's temperament.

For legacies, Tieflings typically known one Cantrip at the the start, at 3rd level they know one 1st level spell that's enhanced to a 2nd level spell slot if possible and can be cast once before requiring a long rest (though some might be usable with a short rest), and at 5th level they gain knowledge of a 2nd level spell that can be cast once before requiring a long rest to cast again. Charisma or Intelligence is the spellcasting ability for spells cast through this ability (Also see the optional rule Innate spell known).

Optional Rule: Custom Legacies - See above for the general rule most legacies follow.

Legacy of the Foreboding - Menace and dread are the flavours invoked by this Legacy, an often common one where the fiend inside exudes malevolence and spite. It's thought that this might be the most common Tiefling legacy (it's the default one). The powers of this legacy are: Thaumaturgy, at 3rd level Hellish Rebuke cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Darkness cast once before requiring a long rest. (Formerly Asmodeus)

Legacy of Corruption - Twisting and poisoning things is what the fiend inside desires, it seeks to weaken others to impose its will on the outside world. The powers of this legacy are: Thaumaturgy, at 3rd level Ray of Sickness cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Crown of Madness cast once before requiring a long rest. (Formerly Baalzebul)

Legacy of the Infiltrator - The fiend inside seeks to learn the darkest of secrets to exert control and destroy things from the inside. It's often mistrusting of others. The powers of this legacy are: Thaumaturgy, at 3rd level Disguise Self once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Detect Thoughts cast once before requiring a long rest. (Formerly Dispater)

Legacy of the Tempter - The fiend likes to bend others to its will through the force of personality, it's better to convince others to work in your agenda than to do such things yourself. The powers of this legacy are: Friends, at 3rd level Charm Person once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Suggestion cast once before requiring a long rest. (Formerly Fierna)

Legacy of Deception - The fiend desires to bend or hide the truth, lies become its weapons as the truth itself is something that's malleable under deft control of one such as itself. The powers of this legacy are: Minor Illusion, at 3rd level Disguise Self once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Invisibility cast once before requiring a long rest. (Formerly Glasya)

Legacy of Isolation - The fiend is cold-hearted and uncaring, it depises others wishing nothing more than pain and ruin on those it feels have violated it's sancutary. The powers of this legacy are: Ray of Frost, at 3rd level Armor of Agathys cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Darkness cast once before requiring a long rest. (Formerly Levistus)

Legacy of Avarice - The fiend inside seeks to gain and horde all that it can it's own means, it jealously hides what it can away from others. The powers of this legacy are: Mage Hand, at 3rd level Tenser's Floating Disk once before requiring a short or long rest, and at 5th level Arcane Lock cast once before requiring a long rest. (Formerly Mammon)

Legacy of Malice - The fiend would rather have the world outside burn, everything is to be consumed and nothing left but ashes to rule over. The powers of this legacy are: Mage Hand, at 3rd level Burning Hands cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Flame Blade cast once before requiring a long rest. (Formerly Mephistopheles)

Legacy of Wrath - The fiend inside is driven by bloodlust and rage seeking nothing more than conflict to sate its thirst. Visecral physical violence is often its means. The powers of this legacy are: Thaumatury, at 3rd level Searing Smite cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Branding Smite cast once before requiring a long rest. (Formerly Zariel)

Legacy of Madness - Existence is pain, and sanity is madness, and nothing means what most think it does to this fiend inside. Twisting minds to see things it's way is its desire. The powers of this legacy are: Viscious Mockery, at 3rd level Tasha's Hideous Laughter once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Crown of Madness cast once before requiring a long rest.

Legacy of Decay - Entropy is course of all things, everything is dying from the inside and the fiend seeks to speed up the process. With it's touch it'll set things right towards the path of destruction. The powers of this legacy are: Acid Spray, at 3rd level Tasha's Caustic Brew (Tasha's Cauldron of Everything) cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Melf's Acid Arrow cast once before requiring a long rest.

Legacy of Paranoia - The fiend seeks to survive at all costs, no deed is beyond it whether it needs to lash to or to stay away, as it sees that everything is against it. The powers of this legacy are: Chill Touch, at 3rd level False Life cast as 2nd-level spell once before requiring a long rest, and at 5th level Invisibility cast once before requiring a long rest.

Optional Rule: Alternate spells - At character creation you may decide to replace a single spell from a legacy with another spell or cantrip of the same level. This rule can be in place instead of allowing custom legacies.

Fiendish Resistance: A Tieflings nature often makes them resistant to the affect of certain elements. Pick one of the following damage types: Lightning, Fire, Cold, Acid or Poison.

Alternative Abilities:
Some of these abilities might be restricted at character creation, by the DM's descretion. They might be obtainable later with the Planar Legacy feat.
Fiendish Wings - The Tiefling has a working pair of bat-like or darkly feathered wings. They gain a fly speed of 30 feet. This ability replaces Fiendish Legacy.
Alternate rule for Fiendish Wings - A Tiefling with wings gains the ability to glide, subtract 100 feet from a fall when determining damage taken, and they can move 2 feet horizontally for every foot they fallen. At 5th level they can fly with speed of 30 feet.

Fiendish Hide - The Tiefling has a tough hide, one that might be scaly or covered in spikes or small ridges. They have an Armor Class of 13 + Dexterity modifier when not wearing armor. This replaces Fiendish Resistance.

Natural Weapons - The Tiefling has one of the following natural attacks. Claws - 1d4 slashing and target is poisoned for until the next round. Stinger 1d4 piercing and the target is poisoned until the next round. Horns 1d6 piercing and the target is moved 5 feet away. This ability replaces Fiendish Legacy.

Prehensile Tail - The Tiefling has a tail can grasp and manipulate objects. They can hold but not attack with any tiny object, and can draw or stow an additional object on their turn. They also get a +2 bonus using, Thievery (Dexterity) for checks involving sleight of hand or Atheletics (Strength) checks involving climbing. This replaces Fiendish Resistance.

Last edited:

The appearance tables from the 2e's Planewalkers Handbook compiled below, which was divided into 2 tables with the 2nd one being rarer traits.

Small horns on Forehead
Small horns on Temples
Single horn on forehead
Long, thin face
Fangs
All teeth are pointed
Forked tongue
Pointed ears
Fanlike ears
Extremely long nose
Very small (almost unnoticeable) nose
Extremely long eyelashes
Red eyes
Black eyes (no whites)
Feline eyes
Extremely deep-set eyes
Green hair
Blue hair
Multicolored hair
Six fingers(including thumbs)
Three fingers (including thumbs)
Black fingernails
Red fingernails
Fingers one inch longer than normal
Arms six inches longer than normal
Legs six inches longer than normal
Horselike legs
Goatlike legs
Goatlike hooves
Long, thin tail
Horselike tail
Lizardlike tail
Spiny ridges on back
Spiny ridges all over body
Hairless body
Body covered in short fur or long hair
Body covered in striped markings
Extremely greasy skin
Scaly skin
Leathery skin
Small feathers rather than hair on 10-100% of body
Green-tinted skin
Blue-tinted skin
Red-tinted skin
Special side effect (roll table below)

Ashy odor surrounds body
Sulfurous odor surrounds body
Rotting odor surrounds body
Skin exudes ash grit
Body cast no shadow
Body has no reflection in mirror
Susceptible to spells such as spirit wrack and cacofiend
Tanar'ri react towards tiefling as though baatezu
Baatezu react toward tiefling as though tanar'ri
Presense cause unease in NPCs, reactions at -4
Prolonged touche wither normal plants
Fingers treated as class (1d4/1d3 damage)
Touch inflicts 1 point of damage due to high body heat
Touch inflicts 1 point of damage due to cold body temperature
Odd skin composition results in base AC of 1d6+3
Cannot reproduce
Holy water inflicts 1d6 damage
Exposure to direct sunlight inflicts 1 point of damage per round
Cannot enter "holy" areas
Harmed only by magical or silver weapons
Intuitively speaks the language of one race

I'd have the traits from the 2nd table in one table. While most of them are interesting to keep, some would be removed especially if they have game mechanics attached. I feel ones referring to possibly unusual hair or skin colors might have more colors added, or just be summarized as an "unusual color for your mortal ancestry". Obviously the horns in the chart above need large horns as an option as well.

There's other options I'd add like vestigal wings or vestigal limbs, or a snake head attached, and probably others.

This is an interesting approach, but what's the reason to unify all these creatures under a single "Planetouched" heading rather than having separate lineages?

I mean, all of them are pretty complex beings who appeal to different players, fit different themes, have different histories, and so on. So to me the instinct would be to just do each one separately.

I guess maybe you can get better balance by having them share some abilities or something? Or I suppose allow for more possibilities - I do like how you have allowed for 2E Tieflings/Aasimar, 4E/5E Tieflings/Aasimar and 4E Daevas, all on the chart, as well, I suppose, as stranger things.

This is an interesting approach, but what's the reason to unify all these creatures under a single "Planetouched" heading rather than having separate lineages?
They are being written as separate lineages, but there's enough about the different Planetouched that they are similar enough to have one generalized writeup about origins and place in the world.

As for the mixing of abilities from lineages, it's an optional rule, but it's also my answer to the question from long ago of "What if a Tiefling and an Aasimar had a child?"

Anyways the bulk of my design consideration on Tieflings has been towards Fiendish Legacies. I definitely based them off of the subraces from Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, but added a few other. While working on them I feel some of them might be redundant or too similar to others, when only looking at spells as we are with the Tasha's Cauldron changes.

So I'm looking to cut a few down and present a suggested alternate spell or 2. I certainly see a justification for the "default" of Foreboding, and Tempter, Deception and Wrath. Less attached to the ones that essentially focus on fire, cold or acid. Avarice the one based on Mammon is different from the others, but I feel it's the least appealing for players.

Remove ads