D&D 5E The Printers Can't Handle WotC's One D&D Print Runs!

"Our print runs are pretty darn big" says Jeremy Crawford

15692108293125663812.jpeg

One of the reasons why the three new core rulebooks next year will not be released together is because D&D is such a juggernaut that the printers can't actually handle the size of the print runs!

Jeremy Crawford told Polygon "Our print runs are pretty darn big and printers are telling us you can’t give us these three books at the same time.” And Chris Perkins added that "The print runs we’re talking about are massive. That’s been not only true of the core books, but also Tasha’s Cauldron. It’s what we call a high-end problem."

Plageman

Explorer
I am still utterly baffled by people who insist on the need to tell all and sundry that they haven't bought any WotC D&D products lately and are unlikely to buy 2024 D&D.

Ooookay? I mean, I'm not likely to buy a new Honda Civic either. There's a million and one things I'm unlikely to buy. Heck, I didn't buy most WotC books on release - only buying them later when I found a need for them/found that they filled a niche I wanted for my game. Yet, surprisingly, I don't feel compelled to jump into every single thread, day after day, week after week, YEAR AFTER YEAR to tell everyone that I am or am not going to buy a new WotC book.

Are people just that starving for attention? What's the point?
Look, unless I'm mistaken we're all entitled our opinion ;)

As far as I'm concerned I've bought a lot of WotC products including -recent- products. Call me a boomer if you will but I'm not the target audience for the current market of WotC products. I'm genuinely curious about their 5e refresh but I'm also aware of all the existing (or soon to be alternatives).

I'm very happy of this situation as I feel that such a wide diversity of 5e variations can only encourage innovation and new takes on a very old system.

If you're happy with everything that WotC produces theses days, be it, it's great for you and I'm happy. For me I've always loved to experience new games, new settings and new mechanisms.

darjr

I crit!
Errr... that is just nonsense. Unless they mean 'this one printing place printed more Tashas than this same place ever printed 4e books', which might well be true, first of all because they might not even have existed 10 years ago.

But I've seen enough 4e haters doing their thing, that I have no doubt some people are spreading that sort of information in all seriousness. Right behind claiming that Pathfinder1 always outsold 4e, despite Paizo themselves stating that they never did.
Yea cause Dyson Logos doesn’t know anyone at WotC or anything……

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I am still utterly baffled by people who insist on the need to tell all and sundry that they haven't bought any WotC D&D products lately and are unlikely to buy 2024 D&D.

Ooookay? I mean, I'm not likely to buy a new Honda Civic either. There's a million and one things I'm unlikely to buy. Heck, I didn't buy most WotC books on release - only buying them later when I found a need for them/found that they filled a niche I wanted for my game. Yet, surprisingly, I don't feel compelled to jump into every single thread, day after day, week after week, YEAR AFTER YEAR to tell everyone that I am or am not going to buy a new WotC book.

In every thread. It's baffling .

Yes!! So many people on this site who obviously are done with D&D and WoTC have to come into the threads to say they hate it or don’t intend to play it, etc. Why do that? If it isn’t your thing move on to a thread or topic that is. You don’t see me posting in the Candelera Obscura thread about how I am not going to play it. Because the thread is for those who are interested.

Michael Linke

Adventurer
Yep. I can remember running a hybrid 1e/2e game while waiting for the rest of the core books to drop.

I'm sure the OneD&D PHB will be the first release, but it'd be funny if they started with the Monster Manual, just like 1e did, for the 50-year anniversary.
I think the MM would be the most needed, though. They say the MM is correcting the balance of monsters, so that they actually have a challenge that matches their listed CR. The PHB changes seem to be less about balance, and more about massaging class identity and offering new options. The DMG seems to be the least critical of releases, but also probably doesn't require any playtesting, so is likely already being written.

Remove ads

Remove ads